The other way to build a 1st place team

wildcard

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I'm not clear on your point.  Is it that because the AL East has the Yankees and Red Sox there is necessarily one and only one way for the Orioles to run an organization?

I think he just wants folks to know that running that obstacle course is not the same as trying to defeat the 230 million dollar behemoths every single year. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

I think he just wants folks to know that running that obstacle course is not the same as trying to defeat the 230 million dollar behemoths every single year. 

I agree, and the only realistic course for the Orioles at the moment is an Astros-style rebuild from the ground up.  That being said, DD put together the 2012-2016 Orioles more like Sterns has with the Brewers than Luhnow did with the curremt Astros and the O's held their own in the AL East for five years and almost six.  I don't have time to look it up, but is there any division that doesn't have at least one team with considerably more spending power than the Orioles?  I'm not convinced that "Well the O's play in the AL East..." is always an automatic trump card.  If nothing else, Wildcard's OP provides a welcome perspective on what can all to easily become gospel.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I agree, and the only realistic course for the Orioles at the moment is an Astros-style rebuild from the ground up.  That being said, DD put together the 2012-2016 Orioles more like Sterns has with the Brewers than Luhnow did with the curremt Astros and the O's held their own in the AL East for five years and almost six.  I don't have time to look it up, but is there any division that doesn't have at least one team with considerably more spending power than the Orioles?  I'm not convinced that "Well the O's play in the AL East..." is always an automatic trump card.  If nothing else, Wildcard's OP provides a welcome perspective on what can all to easily become gospel.

And I was thrilled to watch the Orioles win more games then than they lost. And be the top winning team over five years. I loved that. That was the mission Dan was hired by Peter Angelos for.  After Buck interviewed him to be his boss. 

32 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I agree, the AL East is tough - but other divisions are tough too. The NL Central has the Cubs and Cardinals, the NL West has the Dodgers and Giants, the NL East has the Nationals and Phillies.

The weakest divisions are the AL Central and AL West, which hurts the O's since they are usually competing against those teams for the Wild Card. But, the O's beat the Red Sox and Yankees plenty between 2012-2016. They've just been a really poorly run team besides those couple years.

13 minutes ago, theocean said:

I agree, the AL East is tough - but other divisions are tough too. The NL Central has the Cubs and Cardinals, the NL West has the Dodgers and Giants, the NL East has the Nationals and Phillies.

The weakest divisions are the AL Central and AL West, which hurts the O's since they are usually competing against those teams for the Wild Card. But, the O's beat the Red Sox and Yankees plenty between 2012-2016. They've just been a really poorly run team besides those couple years.

Would love to see the unbalanced schedule go away for good.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Rays are as good as the Cubs or the Cards. I believe the Cubs are now over. Besides, the New York Boston thing is totally grueling for any team in the division. 

I'm certainly a fan of the Rays and how they've managed to do more with less, but saying they're as good as the Cubs and the Cardinals is a leap. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams flirted with 100 wins this season. 

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

In the NL the pitcher hits.

?

That's certainly a fair point, but in the context of their division I think the Cubs and Cardinals are almost as intimidating as the Yanks and Red Sox. And I don't think teams exactly fear the Blue Jays or even the Rays for that matter. Aside from the top two teams the AL East isn't the juggernaut it once was. 

I think the 2018 Orioles were in considerably worse shape than the 2015 Brewers, though to be fair I haven’t studied the Brewers’ farm system from back then.    At a minimum, the Brewers were 17 games better in the standings.   They were pretty bad, but not historically bad.    

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The problem is the travel is a lot more severe with an unbalanced schedule.

I have no data for this, but I'm assuming that the annual West Coast roadtrip results in a rating dives since the games start so late. Another week of that every year wouldn't sit right with the television networks probably.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the 2018 Orioles were in considerably worse shape than the 2015 Brewers, though to be fair I haven’t studied the Brewers’ farm system from back then.    At a minimum, the Brewers were 17 games better in the standings.   They were pretty bad, but not historically bad.    

As of the end of 2015, the Brewers’ system was considered above average to average.    I saw them ranked as high as 5th and as low as 14th, generally hovering around 10th.   So, they were considered to have a better farm system than the Orioles are deemed to have now.   That said, I don’t see a lot of important contributors to the 2016-18 Brewers who came from their farm system.   Ironically, two of the biggest contributors from the farm were in our system at one time (Hader and Davies).     So really this team has been built on trades and FA signings.    

Archived