The other way to build a 1st place team

wildcard

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As of the end of 2015, the Brewers’ system was considered above average to average.    I saw them ranked as high as 5th and as low as 14th, generally hovering around 10th.   So, they were considered to have a better farm system than the Orioles are deemed to have now.   That said, I don’t see a lot of important contributors to the 2016-18 Brewers who came from their farm system.   Ironically, two of the biggest contributors from the farm were in our system at one time (Hader and Davies).     So really this team has been built on trades and FA signings.    

I have not analyzed  it but some of the trades had their prospects in them. Especially the Yelich trade.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have not analyzed  it but some of the trades had their prospects in them. Especially the Yelich trade.

Makes sense.    In any event, trading prospects for established players is not something I expect to see from the Orioles for a couple of years at least.    

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I have no data for this, but I'm assuming that the annual West Coast roadtrip results in a rating dives since the games start so late. Another week of that every year wouldn't sit right with the television networks probably.

I think you're right about the lateness at least in regard to the regional networks.  OTOH I'm sure a team like Kansas City or Minnesota would love a few more home games (at premium prices) against the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I don't think there is any question the Brewers GM has done a very nice job in a pretty competitive division.

This year, the AL East probably has three of the top 10 teams in baseball and the all three are still relatively young and the Rays also have a high quality farm system.  Analyzing the Os roster and our most recent loss-laden campaign against that backdrop should cause a reasonable person to conclude now is the time to accumulate and cultivate assets instead of trying to compete.  

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I don't think there is any question the Brewers GM has done a very nice job in a pretty competitive division.

This year, the AL East probably has three of the top 10 teams in baseball and the all three are still relatively young and the Rays also have a high quality farm system.  Analyzing the Os roster and our most recent loss-laden campaign against that backdrop should cause a reasonable person to conclude now is the time to accumulate and cultivate assets instead of trying to compete.  

We have to hope that in 2021 that Bos and NYY have gotten old, and TB couldn’t afford to keep their team together. TB may have one the other 5 divisions in baseball last year if they played their schedule. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to hope that in 2021 that Bos and NYY have gotten old, and TB couldn’t afford to keep their team together. TB may have one the other 5 divisions in baseball last year if they played their schedule. 

And that a couple of the young studs in the Toronto system bust.

7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

The trade for Schoop last season was pretty lame, and from their point of view, a bust.

Archived