The "I'm getting old" jolt

caesarod

I think I got the most jarring one of all yesterday. I don't know why it hit me that way, but it did.

Bobby Grich is 70 years old.

I still think of Grich as the young hotshot who couldn't force his way into the O's everyday lineup until they moved Davey Johnson. BTW, happy birthday, Bobby!

When/why did it hit you, if at all?

8 hours ago, caesarod said:

I think I got the most jarring one of all yesterday. I don't know why it hit me that way, but it did.

Bobby Grich is 70 years old.

I still think of Grich as the young hotshot who couldn't force his way into the O's everyday lineup until they moved Davey Johnson. BTW, happy birthday, Bobby!

When/why did it hit you, if at all?

Good one!  For me it was hitting forty.  I remember sitting in the office while folks were "congratulating me".  I can still see myself looking down, with my head nearly between my legs and bemoaning that fact.  39 isn't all that bad but forty?  No woman would ever return my furtive look of flirtation.  I could no longer throw out a guy trying to score from third from left field.  No more sub 40 minute 10 K's and on and on.  That was a big wake up call for me and even at 75, I'd not want to go back to work and redo 35 years of whatever.  I still look in the mirror each day and say, "Who TF is that?"  All of these age spots, knees creaking, a fib, blood thinners, beta blockers, etc.  I have been retired for 22 years with relatively good health.  I still walk 9 or 18 holes carrying my bag.  I swim a mile and may even shoot my age this year (I've come within one stroke).  So it's not over but enjoy the ride!   As I also learned last year, you can be bike riding one minute and in the ER one hour later.  ?

Two things:

1.   When Jesse Orosco retired.   He was the last active player older than me.

2.   When guys like Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Sandy Alomar Jr., Robbie Alomar, Brett Boone and David Bell started retiring.   Not only did I watch their entire careers, but I have clear memories of when their fathers were rookies.    

Yeah, I’m old as dirt.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two things:

2.   When guys like Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Sandy Alomar Jr., Robbie Alomar, Brett Boone and David Bell started retiring.   Not only did I watch their entire careers, but I have clear memories of when their fathers were rookies.    

Yeah, I’m old as dirt.   

I know what you mean.  For me it was Nolan Ryan.

I think for me it was Bret Saberhagen retiring. I played against him and he was the yardstick with which I measured myself. 

Now, it hits me daily with all the little aches and pains I remember my dad dealing with as he aged. Three back surgeries, three knee surgeries and a rotator cuff surgery later I’m looking forward to knee replacement. Looking forward. You’re old if you’re looking forward to losing parts of your body that hurt.

Ah, but I’m so much wiser....

?

On 1/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, Frobby said:

Two things:

Yeah, I’m old as dirt.   

I think Jason Giambi was the last active player older than me, in 2014.  If you don't count Raffy playing in an indy league at 53 last year.  

On 1/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, bobmc said:

Good one!  For me it was hitting forty.  I remember sitting in the office while folks were "congratulating me".  I can still see myself looking down, with my head nearly between my legs and bemoaning that fact.  39 isn't all that bad but forty?  No woman would ever return my furtive look of flirtation.  I could no longer throw out a guy trying to score from third from left field.  No more sub 40 minute 10 K's and on and on.  That was a big wake up call for me and even at 75, I'd not want to go back to work and redo 35 years of whatever.  I still look in the mirror each day and say, "Who TF is that?"  All of these age spots, knees creaking, a fib, blood thinners, beta blockers, etc.  I have been retired for 22 years with relatively good health.  I still walk 9 or 18 holes carrying my bag.  I swim a mile and may even shoot my age this year (I've come within one stroke).  So it's not over but enjoy the ride!   As I also learned last year, you can be bike riding one minute and in the ER one hour later.  ?

Bob, you're amazing.  I'm going to have to live to 105 to have any chance at shooting my age!

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think Jason Giambi was the last active player older than me, in 2014.  If you don't count Raffy playing in an indy league at 53 last year.  

Bob, you're amazing.  I'm going to have to live to 105 to have any chance at shooting my age!

I think it was Thome for me.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, Frobby said:

Two things:

Yeah, I’m old as dirt.   

For me that moment was watching Cal retire, having him from the minors to the majors and then to retirement. It hit me, dang, I was getting old.

Archived