Orioles ZiPS

Just Regular

They are up at Fangraphs now - https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zips-projections-baltimore-orioles/

My biggest takeaways:

-If 2 WAR is the minimum decent player standard, it'll be a toss-up to see if any Oriole can make it in 2019.  1.9 Bundy/Cobb and 1.5 Mullins are the best bets.  I'm not sure how much of the bullpen's 3.8 belongs to Givens individually, but if he can push that, that's only good news for the eventual trade return.

-Yusniel towering over all in .OBP.  His .331 is as far ahead of 2nd place Peterson's .317 as Peterson's is ahead of 9th place McKenna's.  I'll be very curious to see if Yusniel starts in AA or AAA as the first hint of whether he'll get the Vlad treatment (even knowing he isn't that special).  Hays and Mountcastle both down at .280 or below.

-Milton Bradley for Diaz, and Vernon Wells for Mullins were famous #1 comps.

-It'll be interesting to see if Elias can turn one or both of Bleier and Hart into anything.  Scott's projected ERA+ lands right between those two among our potentially good relievers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

They are up at Fangraphs now - https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zips-projections-baltimore-orioles/

My biggest takeaways:

-If 2 WAR is the minimum decent player standard, it'll be a toss-up to see if any Oriole can make it in 2019.  1.9 Bundy/Cobb and 1.5 Mullins are the best bets.  I'm not sure how much of the bullpen's 3.8 belongs to Givens individually, but if he can push that, that's only good news for the eventual trade return.

-Yusniel towering over all in .OBP.  His .331 is as far ahead of 2nd place Peterson's .317 as Peterson's is ahead of 9th place McKenna's.  I'll be very curious to see if Yusniel starts in AA or AAA as the first hint of whether he'll get the Vlad treatment (even knowing he isn't that special).  Hays and Mountcastle both down at .280 or below.

-It'll be interesting to see if Elias can turn one or both of Bleier and Hart into anything.  Scott's projected ERA+ lands right between those two among our potentially good relievers.

Givens is 1.6 WAR, which is extremely good for a reliever,  almost equal to Craig Kimbrel's 1.7 ZIPS projection. 

27 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

My biggest takeaways:

The Vlad treatment?

You mean make sure he can play some semblance of defense before they promote him?

I actually don't have a problem with them holding Vlad back last year, his defense at third was a serious concern.

I'm hoping we have a lot of guys busting their butts in 2019 to prove they belong in 2020-22.  Or, if they are older, hoping they can be trade bait.  Thus, we can beat the projection.  This must be close to a perfect scenario for a young player with almost no one in their way..

Just now, Pheasants said:

I'm hoping we have a lot of guys busting their butts in 2019 to prove they belong in 2020-22.  Or, if they are older, hoping they can be trade bait.  Thus, we can beat the projection.  This must be close to a perfect scenario for a young player with almost no one in their way..

It's normally fair to assume one or two guys beats their projection and a couple crash and burn.  Since no one beat their projection last year the O's are due.  If three maybe four guys do really well they might win 65 games.

Archived