Orioles Hire Harford JUCO coach for minor league hitting coach

jrobb21613

1 hour ago, higgybaby said:

If I were the os I'd shop around for four more with similar traits from their college teams and hire them all for all of our minor league affiliates. Teach this philosophy from the top down. 

Agree. At first I read Melewski's piece to say Eller was new minors hitting coordinator, then was deflated to hear it was just for Aberdeen. Sounds like an awesome skill set, in any case. Gotta start somewhere!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Very happy for Tom. I am a pitching coach and former head coach in MDJUCO and experienced first hand for over a dozen years his team’s approach. I feel like we gave up most of the HR and BB but I suspect most of his opponents feel that way. He has taken a lot of grief for his style but he certainly stuck to his beliefs. Any idea where he’ll be? 

Thanks for the input. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it rude to speculate if this was a pay cut, raise or a lateral move?

I think it would be telling if the O's were paying a minor league hitting coach a higher amount than the industry norm.

Concord University Head Men's Baseball Coach/Academic Instructor salaries - 1 salaries reported    $42,503/yr

College Baseball Coach - Hourly
Montreat College
About
$14 - $16
hourly

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Concord University Head Men's Baseball Coach/Academic Instructor salaries - 1 salaries reported    $42,503/yr

College Baseball Coach - Hourly
Montreat College
About
$14 - $16
hourly

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-coaching-salaries-on-the-farm-bullpen-scatalogy-cards-step-more/

a front office type told me his club pays minor league coaches and managers a minimum of $35,000. Another put that number at $30,000.

• Upvote 1

Any chance he still coaches at Harford in some capacity?  JUCO season is probably Feb to May/June.  Aberdeen doesn't get going until after the draft right? Could allow Harford to be even more of a power house with more attention for recruiting and through the draft, essentially feed right into the O's system.  Unless its all illegal of course.

42 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Any chance he still coaches at Harford in some capacity?  JUCO season is probably Feb to May/June.  Aberdeen doesn't get going until after the draft right? Could allow Harford to be even more of a power house with more attention for recruiting and through the draft, essentially feed right into the O's system.  Unless its all illegal of course.

He’s going to coach at extended spring training and then head north when Aberdeen breaks camp.

30 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Best article I’ve seen on the hiring.

Advice for Chris Davis?

Eller explained. “For the last four years, we’ve led the nation in walks, but it’s kind of the opposite of what everyone thinks it is. Just because we walk a lot doesn’t mean we take a lot of pitches. I want my guys to hit one of the first three pitches they see because most of the time, they’re going to see a first-pitch fastball or strikes early in the at-bat. Then, we start getting pitched to differently, teams start us off with breaking balls that they don’t throw for a strike, that our guys don’t chase. That’s how you walk 10 times in a game.

“I think quality at-bats are looked at the wrong way,” he added. “Too many people are worried about seeing eight pitches to be successful when really, you should be thinking about the first three. If you want to hit .214, [extending at-bats] is the way to hit .214.”

• Upvote 1

I really like the way this new regime hires people.  I like the traits that they seem to be specifically looking for. 

As a loooooong suffering Os fan, (all of us) I think we might be getting our wish.  I am so excited about the furure of Orioles Baseball I cant stand it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

Advice for Chris Davis?

Eller's comment about .214 and the first 3 pitches being the key.  It all gets back to what Ted Williams said, get a good pitch to hit.  If the first pitch is a fast ball down the middle, waist high, you have to be swinging.  As Eller said, if you are getting breaking balls that are out of the zone, you obviously take them.  Follow get a good pitch to hit, the batter will draw walks and be swinging at good pitches which should result in hard hit balls.

Good article. I find this comment telling:

I grew up idolizing Cal Ripken and Mickey Tettleton and Eddie Murray and all those guys.

Choosing a poster guy for walks and power. Will always think we would have won it all in '89 if Tettleton didn't get injured (sort of like Markakis, years later).

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it rude to speculate if this was a pay cut, raise or a lateral move?

I think it would be telling if the O's were paying a minor league hitting coach a higher amount than the industry norm.

Tom was not just the Head Coach. Most are not full time employees unless they do something else and the school. Tom was their Athletic Facility Manager and Interim AD. My guess is he is taking a pay cut. Probably a fairly good one but I am sure he can make it up in speaking fees etc...