MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Diehard_O's_Fan

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

So much for the situational one batter pitcher.

Yeah nothing is as boring as having them bring in a reliever they face one batter and then they bring in another reliever.  If a guy can only face one type of hitter he should't be in the league. I would rather have more pinch hitters. It doesn't take any time to pinch hit for someone and would lead to more offense. 

58 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Since the Orioles are hoping to rebuild their team through the draft, wouldn't the proposed draft changes absolutely kill them?

Nope.  They just have to make an effort to win more games.  Why reward a team for being the worst team in the league?  The Orioles should be working to win more games this season. If they don't want to spend the money to improve their team than they should not be rewarded with the top pick two years in a row.  Finishing last should not be a goal of anyone. It is poor sportsmanship and ruins the integrity of the game. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Lowering mound would help hitters.

I have suggested the 3 batter minimum for pitchers many times. Also the limit on the number of pitchers on roster. I think all the changes are good.  Like the minimum of 14 non-pitchers.  

Draft change is good for Orioles.  I like if you lose 90 games back to back seasons you are punished in the draft. This will help the Orioles and protect them from their cheap owners.  The Orioles are a disgrace this year.  No team should not making any effort to improve themselves.  Doing this is going to kill the sport if nothing is done.  

Tell that to Tampa, KC, Houston, etc.

The ONLY way for small market teams to reset and start over is by having a couple bad seasons and rebuilding through the draft.  Signing guys like Jones gets us a couple extra wins but still doesn't move the needle.  Hell, last year we had Jones, Schoop, Manny, etc. and STILL had 115 losses.   Not sure why this is so hard for some people to understand.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Tell that to Tampa, KC, Houston, etc.

The ONLY way for small market teams to reset and start over is by having a couple bad seasons and rebuilding through the draft.  Signing guys like Jones gets us a couple extra wins but still doesn't move the needle.  Hell, last year we had Jones, Schoop, Manny, etc. and STILL had 115 losses.   Not sure why this is so hard for some people to understand.  

I didn't say to sign Jones.  But there are low salary players that could help the Orioles get better that the Orioles are ignoring. And with all these teams trying to be worse I could see teams putting out guys who are really terrible just to lose more games than the next team.  It is ruining the game. It is one thing if you try hard and lose games like the Orioles did last season it is another to do nothing to improve your team so you purposely are the worst.  

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah nothing is as boring as having them bring in a reliever they face one batter and then they bring in another reliever.  If a guy can only face one type of hitter he should't be in the league. I would rather have more pinch hitters. It doesn't take any time to pinch hit for someone and would lead to more offense. 

I agree boring.

But, I am more against adding legislation to govern the action of the game.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Nope.  They just have to make an effort to win more games.  Why reward a team for being the worst team in the league?  The Orioles should be working to win more games this season. If they don't want to spend the money to improve their team than they should not be rewarded with the top pick two years in a row.  Finishing last should not be a goal of anyone. It is poor sportsmanship and ruins the integrity of the game. 

If you talked  to any of the players or management for that matter, you’d be hard pressed to find a single voice claiming failure is their immediate goal.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

If you talked  to any of the players or management for that matter, you’d be hard pressed to find a single voice claiming failure is their immediate goal.

LOL. Of course losing is their immediate goal.  Their SS solution is a Rule 5 guy.  Who will be 4th and 5th starter? They want to lose.  If you win 47 games and don't do anything to improve your team you want to lose.  Everyone on here was mocking the Marlins before last season.  They won 16 more games than the Orioles.  But I guess when the Orioles do the same thing it is OK.  

Just now, atomic said:

LOL. Of course losing is their immediate goal.  Their SS solution is a Rule 5 guy.  Who will be 4th and 5th starter? They want to lose.  If you win 47 games and don't do anything to improve your team you want to lose.  Everyone on here was mocking the Marlins before last season.  They won 16 more games than the Orioles.  But I guess when the Orioles do the same thing it is OK.  

The SS is not assigned yet. Yes, they invited a rule 5 to ST, and it sounds a bit promising, but at this point, who knows?

Its not unusual at this stage of the off season, to not have a clear idea of who would be in the 4th and 5th slot. You dont even need the 5th slot until week 3 of the regular season.

They do not want to lose, they said expect to be competitive and play ball.

So continue to mock the team and complain.

The sun will continue to rise and set and the sky is not falling.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

A Rule 5 guy at SS fits their immediate goals of the rebuild. People mocking the Marlins is misplaced. Jeter’s stated goal was to shed salary. He’s done that. I remember the Astros came out and told their fan base their intentions. The Orioles are on the right path regardless of the hand wringing by some.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree boring.

But, I am more against adding legislation to govern the action of the game.

In every sport you have to add rules to keep the coaches from destroying the game.  Remember in college basketball before they had a shot clock how boring the games would get.  Even when North Carolina had a great team they would play 4 corners offense to stall. In Hockey they eliminated the two line pass rule to open up the game as teams all implemented boring neutral zone trap..  Football is constantly changing the rules to improve the watch ability. 

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

A Rule 5 guy at SS fits their immediate goals of the rebuild. People mocking the Marlins is misplaced. Jeter’s stated goal was to shed salary. He’s done that. I remember the Astros came out and told their fan base their intentions. The Orioles are on the right path regardless of the hand wringing by some.

The rules need to be changed so the plan doesn't work anymore.  It is bad for the game.  Attendance is down around the league and will keep going down with more teams doing this.  And if half the league tries to lose  on purpose the Astro's plan won't even work anymore. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

In every sport you have to add rules to keep the coaches from destroying the game.  Remember in college basketball before they had a shot clock how boring the games would get.  Even when North Carolina had a great team they would play 4 corners offense to stall. In Hockey they eliminated the two line pass rule to open up the game as teams all implemented boring neutral zone trap..  Football is constantly changing the rules to improve the watch ability. 

I remember all that, and even the 3 shot was going to ruin the game.

Yet, there is talk of a 4 point shot line.

While Football is constantly changing the rules, I not always in favor of their changes.

Ok, so I admit, your side of this discussion has merits.

I certainly think they should unify the DH rule to both leagues or neither.  26th man makes a lot of sense.  Single trade deadline would be better.  20 second pitch clock is good.

I wouldn't change the mound.  I would not change the draft as suggested though I support allowing the trade of draft picks (like every other sport).  You really can't have a min batter rule IMO.  For what it's worth I don't care where the 7 fielders stand either, i.e., learn to adjust to the shift.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

In every sport you have to add rules to keep the coaches from destroying the game.  Remember in college basketball before they had a shot clock how boring the games would get.  Even when North Carolina had a great team they would play 4 corners offense to stall. 

My senior year at Duke (1979) Dean Smith played four corners the entire first half and the score at halftime was Duke 7, UNC 0.   Yes, zero.    Good riddance to that.