MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Diehard_O's_Fan

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

The rules need to be changed so the plan doesn't work anymore.  It is bad for the game.  Attendance is down around the league and will keep going down with more teams doing this.  And if half the league tries to lose  on purpose the Astro's plan won't even work anymore. 

What team’s coaches are actively trying to lose in baseball? What you’re talking about is changes at the organizational level and I’m against any change that limits a team’s self-determination.

• Thanks 1

Manfred.  Seems to have ruining the game as his number one goal. Almost everything he has proposed has made the game worse, and there are a lot of things we could do that would make the game better.  Among other things, we have become accustomed to challenges, but I think we’re still aware of how ridiculous they are.

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I certainly think they should unify the DH rule to both leagues or neither.  26th man makes a lot of sense.  Single trade deadline would be better.  20 second pitch clock is good.

I wouldn't change the mound.  I would not change the draft as suggested though I support allowing the trade of draft picks (like every other sport).  You really can't have a min batter rule IMO.  For what it's worth I don't care where the 7 fielders stand either, i.e., learn to adjust to the shift.

Yeah I am against outlawing the shift.  The guys bothered by the shift are the same guys who make the game incredibly boring.  These are the same guys who strike out close to 200 times a season.

One change that would make the game a lot more interesting but would never happen.  Make it a foul ball when you hit the ball over the fence in fair territory.  No more home runs.  It would eliminate guys like Trumbo and Davis.  And you would have more hits and less strike outs. Like I said they would never let that happen but really there should be some way to get rid of the guys who strike out constantly have no speed and try for a home run at every at bat. I think WAR over values such players and I think analytic departments are getting wise to the overvaluation of them. 

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I absolutely love the thought of having a DH in the National League. That sure would make inter league play more fair for American League teams. It is also a safety thing when you have a pitcher batting for the first time in a year. There have been countless pitchers that have got hurt during inter league play.

On paper I do too, but I really hate what the DH position has become. In the AL it's basically a wasteland for aging veterans and players who can't play the field. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah I am against outlawing the shift.  The guys bothered by the shift are the same guys who make the game incredibly boring.  These are the same guys who strike out close to 200 times a season.

One change that would make the game a lot more interesting but would never happen.  Make it a foul ball when you hit the ball over the fence in fair territory.  No more home runs.  It would eliminate guys like Trumbo and Davis.  And you would have more hits and less strike outs. Like I said they would never let that happen but really there should be some way to get rid of the guys who strike out constantly have no speed and try for a home run at every at bat. I think WAR over values such players and I think analytic departments are getting wise to the overvaluation of them. 

As you said though, if the goal is to get rid of one trick ponies like Davis, teams adjust their thinking and stop overvaluing (or valuing at all) those guys.  The problems solves itself.  The though ties in with the DH discussion too, since the DH is a big reason to have those guys in the first place

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

On paper I do too, but I really hate what the DH position has become. In the AL it's basically a wasteland for aging veterans and players who can't play the field. 

Yeah I don't understand the DH at all. If you don't want the pitcher to bat why not just have only 8 batters. 

Just now, Ripken said:

As you said though, if the goal is to get rid of one trick ponies like Davis, teams adjust their thinking and stop overvaluing (or valuing at all) those guys.  The problems solves itself.  The though ties in with the DH discussion too, since the DH is a big reason to have those guys in the first place

When Davis was an all-star, he was far from a one trick pony.

He played plus defense at first and could really stretch out to catch the incoming throw.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you are okay with great pitchers that can only pitch and field, and bat something like .118 at the plate?

That is the trade-off.   And that's a team decisions.  There are some good hitting pitchers.  I think if pitchers batted in the minor leagues they probably would hit a little bit better in the majors.  But there is no reason you can't play your poor defending, good hitting player in the field.  It will cost you in the defense category and you will have to decide if it is worth it to your team.