MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Diehard_O's_Fan

The mound was lowered from 15 to 10 inches in 1968 and offense jumped from 6.84 to 8.14 runs per game.

That being said they also shrunk the strike zone and decided to enforce more restrictions on doctored balls, so teasing out how much of the offense jump was due to the mound is tricky.

I think the general consensus is a lower mound benefits the batter.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't see why lowering the mound is even being talked about. Just leave the mound alone. Can you imagine how much the game will change if a reliever has to pitch to a minimum of three batters? Talk about a major change.

I kind’ve like the three batter rule.   I’m not a fan of multiple pitcher changes during an inning.   As a fan that’s extremely boring, and it allows for over-specialization.   So yeah it would change the game, but I’d like that change.   

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I kind’ve like the three batter rule.   I’m not a fan of multiple pitcher changes during an inning.   As a fan that’s extremely boring, and it allows for over-specialization.   So yeah it would change the game, but I’d like that change.   

So much for the situational one batter pitcher.

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im not a fan of it.

I am even less a fan of MLB trying to manage the game through stupid rules.

I agree. I like the LOOGY role... Jesse Orosco was one of my favorite relievers to watch. He was SO good at his specialty. It was a joy to watch him spin that slider right into the bread basket of righties, too.  

That to me removes a degree of specialization that makes the game interesting. 

I also think it's arbitrary to say: you must face three batters. That puts a premium on generalized relievers. That's fine. But again... it takes away some of the fun, for me. Maybe a rule like: after the first reliever, who can face a single batter... everyone else must face at least 3 batters. That way, the LOOGY could still have a potential role if a left-handed slugger comes up in a high-impact situation. 

The 20-second pitch limit seems reasonable, given that we have a shot clock in basketball... and play clock in football, etc. At the same time, it's a one-sided rule. What if a hitter's not in his stance? The pitcher just hucks it up there? Seems weird. I'd have to hear more. 

I absolutely love the thought of having a DH in the National League. That sure would make inter league play more fair for American League teams. It is also a safety thing when you have a pitcher batting for the first time in a year. There have been countless pitchers that have got hurt during inter league play.

4 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I absolutely love the thought of having a DH in the National League. That sure would make inter league play more fair for American League teams. It is also a safety thing when you have a pitcher batting for the first time in a year. There have been countless pitchers that have got hurt during inter league play.

I think its ludicrous to have the DH in only the AL.

Universal DH: Yes.  I could go into this, but it's a long conversation.

Three batter rule:  No.  I dont like taking managerial decisions out of a managers hand if a pitcher clearly doesnt have it.  I would like to see this be a 15-20 pitch requirement OR 3 batters.  This would end at the end of an inning or due to injury.  There are situations where a reliever comes in and just doesnt have it.  Sometimes they get lit up by the first three batters and you know.  But sometimes they just struggle with the first guy in a 10 pitch AB.  I don't want to see a reliever go 20 pitches to the first two guys and then have to stay out there if they clearly arent going to be getting outs.

Draft Penalties for losing: Absolutely freaking* not.  This rule would exacerbate disparity between spenders and not spenders.  It would put an end to the deep rebuild which is one of the only ways small market teams have to build a window.  It would really if ever affect larger market teams.  If MLB wants small market teams to quit phoning it in for 78-81 win seasons then force those owners to spend some money.  I know there is not a simple answer for this but this solution strikes me as terrible.

EI runners:  please stop with this player on second stuff.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Would lowering the mound help the hitters or pitchers? The draft changes would certainly affect the Orioles in a negative way. I like the thought of adding a 26 man to the roster. I also like the September rule changes 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25935056/mlb-players-discussing-rule-changes-alter-game

Lowering mound would help hitters.

I have suggested the 3 batter minimum for pitchers many times. Also the limit on the number of pitchers on roster. I think all the changes are good.  Like the minimum of 14 non-pitchers.  

Draft change is good for Orioles.  I like if you lose 90 games back to back seasons you are punished in the draft. This will help the Orioles and protect them from their cheap owners.  The Orioles are a disgrace this year.  No team should not making any effort to improve themselves.  Doing this is going to kill the sport if nothing is done.  

• Confused 1