Should Mike and Sig convert Hunter Harvey to a reliever?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you but I am very eager to see what Mike and Sig are going to do about Hunter Harvey. Should they convert him to a reliever? Would it be harder on his body to pitch every two or three days rather than pitching once every five days? I am not smart enough to know what Mike and Sig should do. What are your thoughts?

I think this is probably a year too early to broach this topic. I can't imagine he will get a ton of innings this year as a "starter" anyway. If he proves he can stay healthy pitching like 3-4 innings every 6 days this year, then you can start to see where he's most valuable. 

Just my opinion though and I agree it will be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't know about you but I am very eager to see what Mike and Sig are going to do about Hunter Harvey. Should they convert him to a reliever? Would it be harder on his body to pitch every two or three days rather than pitching once every five days? I am not smart enough to know what Mike and Sig should do. What are your thoughts?

That might be a good idea. We will have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

What, so he can get hurt again?  5 years in the system.  He's gotta show some results and if that means converting to reliever to reduce the amount of innings, that's not bad.  

Obviously, the old refrain of “I just want him to be healthy for one season” comes into play. 

I have no problem with him as a reliever to keep his innings under wraps, but ultimately the guy has starter stuff.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What, so he can get hurt again?  5 years in the system.  He's gotta show some results and if that means converting to reliever to reduce the amount of innings, that's not bad.  

I mean, I don't know that innings are the issue really.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Sure it is. He’s accumulated no build up of innings to date and he needs to build arm strength. Having him in the BP to start limits his and the team’s exposure.

Yeah, I'm not against it or anything. I just think he's going to get such limited innings regardless of how you define him right now. 

I'm also saying that perhaps his arm is just failing him regardless of strength or "build up of innings". Some players just always get hurt no matter what you do. It's not like he pitched back-to-back 120 innings seasons or something and broke down. 

I wouldn't do it now.  He needs to show he can pitch at all, whether starter or reliever.  He needs to throw some real innings this year.  His health has been a disaster.  If he makes it through 2019 healthy, his position future should be looked at then.  If he gets hurt again this year I don't think he has a future.

I don't see how him being a reliever would be easier on him in the  minors.  When is he is a starter he will get plenty of rest and you can pull him after a few innings.  I think as he has never had success above low A ball and he has been injured for 5 years I would expect too much from him.  He first needs to prove he can play a full season in the minors before we even care enough to decide his next path. 

Archived