Should Mike and Sig convert Hunter Harvey to a reliever?

Diehard_O's_Fan

How about they let him just try and get through a full season healthy, eh?  If he does, based on his performance, then they can decide how to proceed.  But right now he just needs to pitch in the minors and can hopefully stay healthy and continue to develop.  I'm sure given him lack of innings over the last several seasons, he'll be on pretty tight pitch counts anyway.

Being the son of an All-Star reliever makes it harder for me to keep a clear perspective on this, and for sure I craved the notion of him as a guy you want for an inning of the 2018 wildcard game a year ago.  But now there's nothing but miles and miles of room for him to try to figure out that third pitch and get his command together.  He might be part of the next good team that way.  If he just pours gas out of the pen, then to me that's more positioning him as a trade chip for somebody's 2020 postseason.

It’s like the Bundy situation but he still has options. Whatever we have to do to let him mentally and physically get through a full season healthy. I don’t care if that’s 2-3 IP starts the entire first half of the season. 

I believe he will be out of options come ST 2021. The goal is to have him be able to contribute to the MLB team then. My plan would be,

2019 - 2-3 IP GS to get through the year. Ramp it up at the ASB it possible. 75-100 IP total

2020- 125 IP across AA/AAA. 

2021- MLB level. Whatever he can give us. As long as he’s healthy. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s like the Bundy situation but he still has options. Whatever we have to do to let him mentally and physically get through a full season healthy. I don’t care if that’s 2-3 IP starts the entire first half of the season. 

I believe he will be out of options come ST 2021. The goal is to have him be able to contribute to the MLB team then. My plan would be,

2019 - 2-3 IP GS to get through the year. Ramp it up at the ASB it possible. 75-100 IP total

2020- 125 IP across AA/AAA. 

2021- MLB level. Whatever he can give us. As long as he’s healthy. 

Nice post, and I agree

Count me in the group that just wants him to stay healthy; and the best way to do that is for HH to remain a starter for this year. Easier to control his innings. He has an MLB starter’s repertoire and he is the kind of kid that you need to be all-in with. It’s an investment in 2021 and beyond. I don’t think he’s a potential TOR guy at this point, but a 3-4 guy is within reach. And you can always fall back on the reliever role later. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Count me in the group that just wants him to stay healthy; and the best way to do that is for HH to remain a starter for this year. Easier to control his innings. He has an MLB starter’s repertoire and he is the kind of kid that you need to be all-in with. It’s an investment in 2021 and beyond. I don’t think he’s a potential TOR guy at this point, but a 3-4 guy is within reach. And you can always fall back on the reliever role later. 

Im also in the group that want him to stay healthy.

At this point, I dont care in whatever role, the team feels is best for both the team and HH health.

I know its way too early, but those that understand pitching better than I do, believe HH has some really good stuff and could be a TOR.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im also in the group that want him to stay healthy.

At this point, I dont care in whatever role, the team feels is best for both the team and HH health.

I know its way too early, but those that understand pitching better than I do, believe HH has some really good stuff and could be a TOR.

Yeah, and I should clarify that, to me, a TOR guy gets through the 200 inning plateau. He’s at least a few years away from that. I am curious what innings target the new staff would like to see him attain in 2019.

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Yeah, and I should clarify that, to me, a TOR guy gets through the 200 inning plateau. He’s at least a few years away from that. I am curious what innings target the new staff would like to see him attain in 2019.

agreed.

I was thinking 2021 for him as a solid SP, with 2019 and 2020, getting innings under his belt and stamina built up, and most importantly, staying healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well he got through batting practice.  

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20020/hunter-harvey

Hunter Harvey (forearm) said he felt great after throwing a six-minute session of batting practice on Monday.

The session was half as long as the other pitchers, but it was still a significant sign of progress for Harvey, who hadn't thrown to hitters since last June. The 2013 first-rounder has dealt with all sorts of injury issues in his career, including shoulder and forearm injuries last year. It's hard to count on him for this reason, but the Orioles are still hoping he can turn into something.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, murph said:

Well he got through batting practice.  

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20020/hunter-harvey

Hunter Harvey (forearm) said he felt great after throwing a six-minute session of batting practice on Monday.

The session was half as long as the other pitchers, but it was still a significant sign of progress for Harvey, who hadn't thrown to hitters since last June. The 2013 first-rounder has dealt with all sorts of injury issues in his career, including shoulder and forearm injuries last year. It's hard to count on him for this reason, but the Orioles are still hoping he can turn into something.

Im encouraged, that he is throwing well, and I know its way early, but to see him throw with good stuff, is better than being on the shelf.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/harvey-impresses-in-live-batting-practice-session-and-other-notes.html

Archived