Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Personally, I'm open to give him the offseason to do something to revitalize his career and half season. I'd tell him he needs to be hitting .250 with 12-15 Ks at the all star break. When that doesn't happen I'd make it painful for him as possible. Play him one game a week and hopefully he looks for a way out.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Personally, I'm open to give him the offseason to do something to revitalize his career and half season. I'd tell him he needs to be hitting .250 with 12-15 Ks at the all star break. When that doesn't happen I'd make it painful for him as possible. Play him one game a week and hopefully he looks for a way out.

I don't think Davis is going to get to the all star break with only 15 strikeouts.  ?

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont think there is a MLB out there, that would leave Davis on the bench drawing the salary he is drawing.

Unless your deep pockets like Boston, Dodgers or the Yankees, you dont DFA him either.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think there is a MLB out there, that would leave Davis on the bench drawing the salary he is drawing.

Unless your deep pockets like Boston, Dodgers or the Yankees, you dont DFA him either.

If you are in the hunt for a playoff spot can you afford to play him?

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course not  but does Buck have to play him 95% of the time?

Buyout is the only option, but I don't think that happens while Angelos Sr is still alive because it would be admitting a huge mistake. From ownership/management's perspective, they're going to stink for the next years and they're already on the hook for his astronomical salary so why not play him?   

What I'd like to see is have them hang the Davis signing on Brady's head. Then they can buy him out and fire Brady. Two birds, one stone. 

• Downvote 1

I chose the play him for a half season option.

Davis isn’t blocking anyone who is knocking down the door in the minors. He will be though. We have multiple OF prospects who are near major league ready and Mancini needs to be moved to 1B. OF defense will improve and help our young pitching and the offense will improve too.

Its a sunk cost. I would be fine with just releasing him in the offseason. There is slim to no chance that he can ever be above replacement level again. 

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

If not for the knee surgery, Trumbo was a trade candidate I believe this winter. He was on pace for around 25 HR. A team looking to not invest a long-term contract for some pop at DH. A team like Oakland maybe. 

Guys like Trumbo aren't worth much in today's game.  There will be five guys like him that are free agents that struggle to get deals.  Heck, the very best version of him, J.D. Martinez, garnered little in the way of interest last year.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Losing 9-2 is not because of only Davis in the lineup.

Maybe not. I'd just rather see at this point some young guys in the lineup. At this point winning shouldn't be the focus. Using the young guys. See what they have. Hell if they want to use Davis then use him as DH.