Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am not sure anyone would take him, even if we pay 100% of his salary.  There's no value there if he continues to play at this level.  He'd be a detriment to any team, even if that team was starved for 1B production.  They'd be better off getting a AAAA guy up, most likely.

Davis provides more value to the Orioles by NOT playing.  From a roster flexibility standpoint, from a 1B production standpoint, he provides more value by being cut.  

I get letting Elias trying to iron him out, I'm cool with that.  It makes sense, but up until a certain point.  

Correct, but I think that point is farther away than we think.  Part of the plan involves Davis rebuilding value.  

It it is a bad situation no matter what.

2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

So it is realistic to think that the Baltimore Orioles will swallow 80 million plus dollars?  

You know the team extremely well.  Where at all is that realistic?

It’s completely realistic.    They’ve never had a player that bad.    They’ll be an absolute joke of a franchise if they continue to carry a guy that bad once it becomes obvious he’s not going to materially improve.    And fans will be throwing garbage on the field at some point if that occurs.    

I realize it’s a lot of money to eat but there are literally hundreds of minor league players who could outperform what Davis did last year by a substantial margin.   

One more time: I’m all for giving Davis an ample opportunity to show he can materially improve.  But if it’s obvious he can’t, it would be moronic to keep the guy around just because you have to pay him.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s completely realistic.    They’ve never had a player that bad.    They’ll be an absolute joke of a franchise if they continue to carry a guy that bad once it becomes obvious he’s not going to materially improve.    And fans will be throwing garbage on the field at some point if that occurs.    

I realize it’s a lot of money to eat but there are literally hundreds of minor league players who could outperform what Davis did last year by a substantial margin.   

One more time: I’m all for giving Davis an ample opportunity to show he can materially improve.  But if it’s obvious he can’t, it would be moronic to keep the guy around just because you have to pay him.    

No one has ever had a player this bad.  

They are already a joke of a franchise.

There won’t be enough fans there to care enough to dirty Camden Yards.

I agree with everything else....

I don’t agree that it is realistic in the current environment.

4 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Honestly, I’m hoping we don’t find out.    I’m hoping Davis manages to play well enough that the issue doesn’t arise.  But I don’t agree with you that the “current environment” means you play a guy who’s three wins below replacement and showing no sign of improvement.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It kills morale of every other player on the team and all the guys busting their butts trying to get out of the minors. 

I hate to say this, but the best way to get any good settlement with Chris Davis might be to make him play, be terrible, be hated by fans and teammates, and finally get so down that he's willing to accept some kind of settlement offer. I'm not even sure what such an offer could look like, but if it's like last year, he'd probably be willing to give up some money to get out of that situation.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I’m hoping we don’t find out.    I’m hoping Davis manages to play well enough that the issue doesn’t arise.  But I don’t agree with you that the “current environment” means you play a guy who’s three wins below replacement and showing no sign of improvement.   

Right. I think some people confuse "accepting that we'll lose now because we're preparing for a time when we can win" and "trying to lose now, period."

I don't think the Orioles are trying to lose. I think they're trying to win with a roster and financial management perspective that is focused on 2-3 years in the future. Understanding that, playing Davis (if he continues to be terrible) is contrary to our plan, not a fair part of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You would hope at some point Elias will convince the Angelos brothers that eating the remainder of the contract is for the good of the team.

It’s just not that Davis is bad.  There were times where he looked lethargic and disinterested last season.  That is the last thing young prospects should be seeing out of veteran players.  

42 minutes ago, AceKing said:

It will be a toxic environment for the team and the player to keep sending him out there if he isn’t performaning. 

He will get a good look but if he is hitting .132 on July 7th good chance they say goodbye.