Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

12 hours ago, ChipTait said:

It’s not going to be Chris Davis, but I’ve always thought there should be more guys like Brooks Kieschnick in MLB.  Someone who on any given day can pitch, PH, DH or play in the field.  Talk about roster flexibility!

I know Brooks Kieschnick wasn’t a star in MLB, but if you had seen him in college...  Whew!

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The game does seem to be moving in that direction.

Or maybe it's a blip.

Unfortunately that's due to extreme roster pressures because of the perceived need to have 13 or 14 pitchers.  Not because we have a bunch of players who are Major League caliber at both hitting and pitching.  With a small handful of exceptions (Otani, Newcombe, Wes Ferrell, Ruth, maybe a few others) Increased quality of play did away with that 100+ years ago.  

• weams changed the title to Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

It's so, so bad. He has not improved from last season at all. If any adjustments were made, they have not paid off. He is the same Chris Davis as last year. I still cannot believe we stepped up and gave this guy 7 years, when it appeared no one else had offered 3. It's so so bad. 

17 hours ago, bobmc said:

CD says he's seeing the ball better, has been seeing a lot of pitches and now plans to start swinging:

With that benchmark now just two weeks away, Davis is not expected to be limited going forward in his pursuit of that goal. He acknowledged it’s time to rev up the intensity.

“Early on I wanted to see as many pitches as I could ... for me, the biggest thing is getting into a rhythm, getting into a position where I’m seeing the ball well,” Davis said. “That was my plan going in. The next few weeks, it’s time to start swinging again.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/chris-davis-returns-to-orioles-spring-lineup

My immediate reaction the start swinging again line:

1f5ea86d5e3a7fdeb6089f489c1e10385d9cccf2

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s had two hits going the opposite way.    That’s mildly encouraging.    

Maybe he is getting better instruction and listening, but I don't know if Davis hitting .240 with 30 home runs is a good thing on a rebuilding team. Strikeouts will still be high, he's getting slower and defense dropped off (at least to my eyes) last year. 

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe he is getting better instruction and listening, but I don't know if Davis hitting .240 with 30 home runs is a good thing on a rebuilding team. Strikeouts will still be high, he's getting slower and defense dropped off (at least to my eyes) last year. 

He is much thinner this season.   Probably helps his mobility some.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He is much thinner this season.   Probably helps his mobility some.

I think that was part of the idea.   He said he thought he’d lost some flexibility and athleticism.    I do think it’s realistic to hope for defensive improvement and possibly a bit more speed.    That said, do I think he’ll reach replacement level overall?    No.

• Upvote 1