Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm sure the Orioles would release him if a MLB deal was on the table elsewhere, but does he really have any demand?

I think the decision the O's have is do they want him on the 25 man roster or not?   I think he probably can opt out if he is not on the 25 roster by a certain date.  I have not read this anywhere.  Its JMO considering that he has been in the majors for  the last 9 years and has made 25m.   I doubt he would go to the minors to stay for the whole season.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the decision the O's have is do they want him on the 25 man roster or not?   I think he probably can opt out if he is not on the 25 roster by a certain date.  I have not read this anywhere.  Its JMO considering that he has been in the majors for  the last 9 years and has made 25m.   I doubt he would go to the minors to stay for the whole season.

No great loss.

13 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I have this feeling this board will be a nightmare to be on if he makes Opening Day.

im just gonna sit back and trust the process.

It wouldn't bother me if he made the team.   I'm guessing he would have beat out some other fringe players for the utility and/or shortstop job if he makes it.   

25 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It wouldn't bother me if he made the team.   I'm guessing he would have beat out some other fringe players for the utility and/or shortstop job if he makes it.   

It would bother me.  Because it would mean that our new brain trust had brought in half a dozen potential middle infielders in their first three months and NONE was good enough to beat out 32 year old who is the worst hitter getting regular playing time not nicknamed Crusher, and whose once excellent defensive skills are said to be in decline. 

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I have this feeling this board will be a nightmare to be on if he makes Opening Day.

im just gonna sit back and trust the process.

I don’t know what the issue is. I mean does anyone think Elias will allow Escobar to impede another prospect? 

Asking a kid out of AA to play everyday SS with no safety net is a risk even for a bad team. I could see him taking some time away from Martin but nothing that is going to hurt him. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

It would bother me.  Because it would mean that our new brain trust had brought in half a dozen potential middle infielders in their first three months and NONE was good enough to beat out 32 year old who is the worst hitter getting regular playing time not nicknamed Crusher, and whose once excellent defensive skills are said to be in decline. 

You can only keep so many infielders on the roster anyway. It isn’t like all those options would be in Baltimore to begin with.  I thought 700k was pretty cheap for someone who has played as long as he has and is still competent defensively. 

One more thing, Escobar has 9.082 years of service time. Roughly half a season and he will be at 10 years and be able to get a full MLB pension. I’m sure that matters to him. He has plenty of incentive to want to make this team. 

11 pages of angst over an infielder, how marvelous. Some of you have an over developed sense of being a GM, it's going to get you into trouble one day. If Martin/Jackson isn't ready at least he's a cheap insurance policy for this year, that's it. There are way more other issues important to the well-being of the franchise that an infielder on an MiL deal making 700K. I'm more concerned about the rebuild and playing .500 or better in '21 (*probable strike year) since there's no guarantee this works.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

I understand what you are saying, but rule 5 guys are a lottery pick.  If they were that good, their teams would have protected them.   I look at this as Elias hedging his bets.  If worse comes to worst, Escobar starts at SS and one of the other Rule 5 guys is the utility guy.  

6 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know what the issue is. I mean does anyone think Elias will allow Escobar to impede another prospect? 

Asking a kid out of AA to play everyday SS with no safety net is a risk even for a bad team. I could see him taking some time away from Martin but nothing that is going to hurt him. 

You can only keep so many infielders on the roster anyway. It isn’t like all those options would be in Baltimore to begin with.  I thought 700k was pretty cheap for someone who has played as long as he has and is still competent defensively. 

One more thing, Escobar has 9.082 years of service time. Roughly half a season and he will be at 10 years and be able to get a full MLB pension. I’m sure that matters to him. He has plenty of incentive to want to make this team. 

How much do you get with a pension? Is it more than just medical coverage?

4 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

11 pages of angst over an infielder, how marvelous. Some of you have an over developed sense of being a GM, it's going to get you into trouble one day. If Martin/Jackson isn't ready at least he's a cheap insurance policy for this year, that's it. There are way more other issues important to the well-being of the franchise that an infielder on an MiL deal making 700K. I'm more concerned about the rebuild and playing .500 or better in '21 (*probable strike year) since there's no guarantee this works.

Is it?  I mean, the kind of trouble I'd get into if I robbed a gas station?

From what I can see, the thread is being summarized as this:

1. Escobar's skills have been in decline for quite some time now, offensively and defensively
  2. The Orioles have stacked up on middle infielders including....*drumroll*....two Rule 5 picks in Richie Martin and Drew Jackson and a bunch of others
  3. Despite the Orioles stacking up on middle infielders it can be viewed as a wide open battle for the SS spot
  4. People here overreacted to initial reports that Escobar was in the lead for the open SS spot
  5. In a team that's going through a massive rebuild, Escobar doesn't fit into any long term plans but Martin could
  6. People are saying that Escobar is a good backup option, yet no one seems to care

Have I missed anything?

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Here is an article. If you wait until 62 you receive $220k a year.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/06/11/mlb-10-years-service-time-benefits-pension/682546002/

Thanks. That’s an interesting article. Surprising that Lincecum and Hamilton are gonna fall short while Neshek outlasts then. Like they said, it’s especially important for coaches and managers. I assume someone like Caleb Joseph could use his playing and coaching (if he chooses) time to get vested. 

Not gonna lie, it still bothers me that Escobar was on that 2014 KC team. I think it’s clear that Elias isn’t going to have our defense be an embarrassment this year. OF is the only position that might be a little thin, defense wise. 

Signing Escobar also sets up the potential to DFA some of the SS backup plans Elias claimed off waivers this offseason. If Escobar agrees to go to AAA to stsrt the year I think we will see Alberto DFAd at the end of ST. 

Archived