TT: Mullins: Starter or Future 4th Outfielder?

Tony-OH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll let you know after this season. 

I think getting a Spring and atleast a half season of being paired up with Villar, along with however long Eric Young Jr. is there, might help him with the stealing rate as he can pick their brains a bit.

After getting a slightly longer taste of the majors than a September call up would, I also want to see what adjustments he made in the off season with his hitting, based on what he saw in his month and a half (plus time in Norfolk.)

His defense might also benefit from being in the major league parks and getting used to them (the 3rd deck, lights, way the ball carries, ect.) If the outfield had a bit more speed/range on the corners too, that would greatly help him. His motto is "get the ball at all costs," after all.

I see him ultimately as the strong half of a platoon.  Someone you have to have in there against righties.  He'll still get 400 bat bats a season and be plenty valuable.  Whether that is in LF or CF that remans to be seen.  His arm is really lacking, so I think LF if McKenna continues to develop.  

I think he will be a 15-20 SB guy in the majors.  He's never been super aggressive there.  

By 2020 I think the O's starting outfield is Diaz in left, McKenna in center and Hays is right.   However they all bat right-handed.   There is  playing time for Mullins subbing in left and center fields as a left-handed batter is my guess.

I think Mullins gets  his chance in 2019 to show he can handle center everyday.   There will probably be talk of him giving up switch hitting and instead concentrating on being a left-handed hitter all the time.   I think at some  point this season we will see a Mullins/Rickard platoon in center.   JMG.

I  

I don't think we'll have any real idea for a couple years. I'm looking forward to watching him play plus defense in center, starting day one. The bat and baserunning stuff can come along later. 

His future here may depend on the GM and manager to a large degree. Whatever they value will determine who stays and goes. If they value defense, which I think they do, Mullins could be around for awhile if he can be elite. I know the arm isn't elite, but the rest of his defense looks elite... and his offense shows potential. 

I'm excited to see what Mullins does. That said, I suspect he might platoon some with guys like Diaz, Hays and others coming up fast. 

5 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I don't think we'll have any real idea for a couple years. I'm looking forward to watching him play plus defense in center, starting day one. The bat and baserunning stuff can come along later. 

His future here may depend on the GM and manager to a large degree. Whatever they value will determine who stays and goes. If they value defense, which I think they do, Mullins could be around for awhile if he can be elite. I know the arm isn't elite, but the rest of his defense looks elite... and his offense shows potential. 

I'm excited to see what Mullins does. That said, I suspect he might platoon some with guys like Diaz, Hays and others coming up fast. 

His defense in the majors last year looked far from elite.

Yeah, just because the guy is fast doesn't mean his defense is elite.

It CAN be elite.  He's got a bit of a ways to go to get there.

I see him as a 4th OF/platoon type, too.  Can only hit from one side of the plate and that's going to be what holds him back if he can't fix it.  If he can figure out how to hit from the right side I think his 4th OF status changes.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His defense in the majors last year looked far from elite.

I thought he looked hesitant at times.  Maybe he was just getting used to the new parks and had some trepidation taking control in a major league outfield.  

I'm hoping the upper tier sprint speed combined with excellent reports on his defense while he was in the minors means we can expect some serious improvement in his defense.  Didn't Luke say he had elite body control too?  The arm will always keep him from being gold glove caliber.  

I’m not worried about Mullins’ abilities to cover CF.    I believe his minor league track record on that score over his small sample major league performance.   

That said, his arm is barely adequate for CF.    So overall, his defense will probably never be seen significantly above average.   

I think Mullins gets a fair number of PA vs. LHP in 2019 to show he can adjust and improve as a RHB. If not, those PA will disappear by 2020.    

On 2/18/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Mullins is a very good switch hitter. His minor league numbers tell the story. It will be interesting to see if he stops switching hitting or a coach can help him improve enough to play full time.

Archived