Orioles trade international money to Rangers

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Oh I get that. I am not disagreeing with you (hope Elias has full control) but just wondering if that alters their approach here.

Mike Elias himself said he was not going to spend the leftover slot money just to spend it...

My friend Corn thinks Peter is still a guy. The anti-International money stuff left with him. 

If you can get a domestic player that you think is worth a dang for international slot money, then what’s the harm? Usually trades for good players and straight cash are hard to pull off; the scarcity of int’l cash makes it a valuable asset to pull off trades for interesting players regardless of nationality. Lebron looks like a good player to me. That’s my take on it.

edit: I don’t know who here plays videos games, but int’l slot money is literally premium currency.

17 hours ago, AceKing said:

I’m not sure if I agree, but if our FO likes this dude, we have SOOOOO much international money...the Gausman trade keeps on giving?

We could use the money to sign that Shortstop.  Anyway I am not sure signing guys that are way too old for the leagues they are playing in is going to help the team.  I have been saying this all along that the sons are cheap. Every move they have made has been about cheapness. 

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have been saying all along that I don't think ownership has authorized the full allotment to be spent on International players.

This is just a massive misread of the actual situation, IMO. But you're free to thing what you like. You're making, IMO, a false correlation because it looks similar on paper to Duquette. When in fact, everything behind the scenes could not be more different.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A 25 year old who played in division II last year.  That was giving it away.

If it is basically worthless because all teams know there isn’t anything left, then other teams won’t pay much.  Better to take a flyer on someone than not spend it at all.  

They have excess they will never spend 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the slots were accumulated to take a shot at the Mesas. After they were gone, the slots were essentially worthless to the Orioles. 

I still hope we go after the SS, but I agree. 

One can't really judge how we'll approach the international market until next year, really. I don't even think you can judge it in the next signing period.

Anyone hear how much money (slots) we sent to Texas for this kid?  I really like LeBron after reading more about him.  

Maybe be some day he will earn an actual OH thread with input on his viability and attributes.

I am a fan.

9 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Anyone hear how much money (slots) we sent to Texas for this kid?  I really like LeBron after reading more about him.  

Maybe be some day he will earn an actual OH thread with input on his viability and attributes.

I am a fan.

I'm not sure what has you so interested in him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure what has you so interested in him.

He is smart (many academics awards).

He has already had and recovered from TJS.

He has a 4 pitch mix and has had to learn how to command all 4 since he only throws 95.

He was 10-0 last year with like 13k/9....and ridiculous other numbers.

Division 2 pitcher of the year last year, and many other awards through his career.

He had the same success last year in the minors his first year including A+ ball.

He dominates hitters as a mindset.

Archived