Orioles trade international money to Rangers

Diehard_O's_Fan

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

We don't know what was offered.  But Miami certainly was able to take their time to add international funds while the Orioles sat there.  That, IMO, means they wanted money, sure.  But they also wanted Miami AND the money.  And macarena or whatever his name is told Miami to match Baltimore's dollars.

I remember Roch reporting that the O's offers were less on both Mesa and Gaston.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right, they have.

But they might have set forth limits like no more than 750K for any one player and no more than 4.5M total.  Or simply imposed an overall budget small enough that Elias has to prioritize spending in other areas.

Or maybe they just feel the top ranked ones aren't worth it.  

I am tired of bashing (and rightfully so) ownership/management for the past...I dunno how many years.  I think DD did some good things, did some dumb things.

Since I'm tired of bashing left and right, I'm giving Elias, Sig and the rest every opportunity to do good things before I start whining about how I don't like something,  As far as I can tell, they're off to a solid start.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Or maybe they just feel the top ranked ones aren't worth it.  

I am tired of bashing (and rightfully so) ownership/management for the past...I dunno how many years.  I think DD did some good things, did some dumb things.

Since I'm tired of bashing left and right, I'm giving Elias, Sig and the rest every opportunity to do good things before I start whining about how I don't like something,  As far as I can tell, they're off to a solid start.  

I can't turn it off.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do we know how much the O's have shipped off in the three trades under Elias?

It isn't clear.  It may be an issue of funds not being available.  You can not discount that possibility simply because you don't wish it to be true.

I saw they traded $750k in the deal for Moore, but I haven’t seen the numbers reported on the Lebron deal.  Either way, I really don’t think this has anything to do with a restriction or cap by ownership on how much Elias can spend.  Ownership wants the Orioles to be involved in the International market moving forward (John & Lou have a different perspective on this than Peter did), and that is a big reason why Elias was hired.  Koby Perez wouldn’t have left the Indians to come here if the Int’l market wasn’t a priority.  It’s going to take some time to get our International program and scouting built up and firing on all cylinders, but the process has already started.  We just have to be patient and give it time.  Don’t even focus on the current signing period, because it has already been picked over and the O’s have more money than they have players worth spending it on (this doesn’t mean they won’t spend any of it, just no big name/bonus signings because there aren’t any left).  Focus on the 19-20 and future signing periods to see the difference in how things will be moving forward.  

3 minutes ago, Obando said:

I saw they traded $750k in the deal for Moore, but I haven’t seen the numbers reported on the Lebron deal.  Either way, I really don’t think this has anything to do with a restriction or cap by ownership on how much Elias can spend.  Ownership wants the Orioles to be involved in the International market moving forward (John & Lou have a different perspective on this than Peter did), and that is a big reason why Elias was hired.  Koby Perez wouldn’t have left the Indians to come here if the Int’l market wasn’t a priority.  It’s going to take some time to get our International program and scouting built up and firing on all cylinders, but the process has already started.  We just have to be patient and give it time.  Don’t even focus on the current signing period, because it has already been picked over and the O’s have more money than they have players worth spending it on (this doesn’t mean they won’t spend any of it, just no big name/bonus signings because there aren’t any left).  Focus on the 19-20 and future signing periods to see the difference in how things will be moving forward.  

And Jackson?

How many slots did he cost?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And Jackson?

How many slots did he cost?

I don’t remember seeing the amount reported, but I’m sure it’s out there if you search for it.  The $6M bonus slot amount that the O’s still had was reported after we traded to get Drew Jackson in the Rule 5, so I’m estimating we are down to somewhere in the $4.5-5M range now, which is still well more than any other team.

So the Orioles have a Dominican Summer League team on it with 37 players.  They even had a winning record last season.  If they aren't signing players how do they fill this team with players?  Looks like only 3 players under 18.  

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because if ownership told them not to sign international guys, they are dumb.  Doesn't matter who's calling the shots, stupid is stupid.

By all accounts, the Angelos kids have free reign.  Until there's a report out that says that Elias isn't allowed to sign IF types, then I'm going to believe they can.  And, IIRC, they already have.

How much of their pool do they need to spend next signing period for you to think they have full reign to do what they want?  

3 minutes ago, Obando said:

I don’t remember seeing the amount reported, but I’m sure it’s out there if you search for it.  The $6M bonus slot amount that the O’s still had was reported after we traded to get Drew Jackson in the Rule 5, so I’m estimating we are down to somewhere in the $4.5-5M range now, which is still well more than any other team.

I've looked for it.

43 minutes ago, atomic said:

So the Orioles have a Dominican Summer League team on it with 37 players.  They even had a winning record last season.  If they aren't signing players how do they fill this team with players?  Looks like only 3 players under 18.  

I believe I have heard in the past that we often sign guys who have been let go after a year or two in other organizations.   At that point it's just a minor league transaction, not an international signing.   And of course there is no bonus.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I believe I have heard in the past that we often sign guys who have been let go after a year or two in other organizations.   At that point it's just a minor league transaction, not an international signing.   And of course there is no bonus.

Makes sense as you need to have  more players to field a team than the Orioles sign to bonus deals.  

Archived