Orioles trade international money to Rangers

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But that’s operating under the assumption that Elias isn’t authorized to spend. We haven’t seen any indications of that. Just a carry over from the previous regime. What’s the point in lying about spending internationally?

I think trading slot money for a 25 year old who was playing division II ball last year is an indication he isn't authorized to spend.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think trading slot money for a 25 year old who was playing division II ball last year is an indication he isn't authorized to spend.

Or they don't see anything worth spending the money On, and they saw an arm they like. They still have a ton to spend if they see something they like.

I don't see many international guys making themselves available with so many teams at their max pool wise, and only 5 months until it resets.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Or they don't see anything worth spending the money On, and they saw an arm they like. They still have a ton to spend if they see something they like.

I don't see many international guys making themselves available with so many teams at their max pool wise, and only 5 months until it resets.

I don't think all of them are going to be in a situation where they can blithely wait five months. 

Honestly, this speculation that there is no authorization to spend internationally is silly. We have a new guy in Elias that has repeatedly emphasized the importance of the international scene and then isn’t allowed to spend.  It makes no sense.  He would be deemphasizing international scouting if he didn’t have money for it.  This is just anallocation of resources thing.  

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think all of them are going to be in a situation where they can blithely wait five months. 

The Orioles still have alot to work with.  I can't say I disagree with what you said. They had/have the most to spend, and have yet to land a top tier guy.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Honestly, this speculation that there is no authorization to spend internationally is silly. We have a new guy in Elias that has repeatedly emphasized the importance of the international scene and then isn’t allowed to spend.  It makes no sense.  He would be deemphasizing international scouting if he didn’t have money for it.  This is just anallocation of resources thing.  

We have a new guy that has repeatedly emphasized the importance of the international scene who has twice traded away international slots.

If he thinks it is so important, and he has the ability to spend up to his slot limit there, why is he trading for Lebron?

With that I'm out of the discussion for now.  I talked tons about it before and I'm sure the topic will come up again. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have a new guy that has repeatedly emphasized the importance of the international scene who has twice traded away international slots.

If he thinks it is so important, and he has the ability to spend up to his slot limit there, why is he trading for Lebron?

With that I'm out of the discussion for now.  I talked tons about it before and I'm sure the topic will come up again. 

There isn’t enough international talent left.  He knows he won’t spend all the money. Why would he just keep it?

4 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Any reasoning for your theory or just a feeeling you’re going with? I have wondered myself why they haven’t landed any of the top tier guys recently posted with the amount of money they have to spend. 

Sometimes it isn't about money.  In the case of the Cubans, a move to Florida- especially Miami for the Mesa's- made a whole lot of sense for them, as Florida has a large Cuban population.  

We also were short-sighted in acquiring that much money after the signing period was well in swing.  Even Yolmer Sanchez, who can sign now, can also wait until July 1st when the signing period resets if he wants to go to a team that is currently out of international money.  

Even if we could spend all of that money, Sanchez just isn't worth it.  He's essentially Cadyn Grenier at this point- a bat that could improve, but defense that could play in MLB right now.  

That isn't to say the Orioles won't be big players in the future, but it will take time to make inroads from a team that barely had any.  We've made our first step in hiring Koby Perez as director of international scouting.  After this season, we will be able to hire a team around him that brings some connections with them, and will allow them to make some more.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why just give it away?

It's fundamentally not giving it away if you're getting a player back. I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation that there just aren't any good players left internationally. Why would there be? And Sanchez may think he can land a better situation if he waits until the next period. And he may just be right.

Just now, LTO's said:

It's fundamentally not giving it away if you're getting a player back. I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation that there just aren't any good players left internationally. Why would there be? And Sanchez may think he can land a better situation if he waits until the next period. And he may just be right.

A 25 year old who played in division II last year.  That was giving it away.

Archived