Is there a Opening Day 25-man Player not yet on the Roster?

BohKnowsBmore

With the O's holding the #1 waiver priority, is there a player or position that you see them claiming for the opening day 25-man roster that's not yet on the team?  This would likely be guys who are out of options that another team would try to sneak through.

I'm thinking a toolsy OF that hasn't quite put things together would be the perfect confluence of need and availability, in my opinion.  Maybe Eric Young Jr. is that player, but it would be great to get someone a bit younger for the 5th OF (after Mullins, Rickard, Mancini, Stewart)***/bench bat role who has some potential to put it together and be worth something going forward. Are there any players that anyone is aware of that would fit this bill?  Lists of players out of options are incredibly hard to come by.  A lot of my google searches actually return articles about Dylan Bundy being out of options.  It doesn't help that a lot of writers talk about teams' "options" at a given position.

I would think some form of reliever would be the next most likely, but I think we have some intriguing options there already.

***For the record, I'm in the camp of starting Diaz, Hays and McKenna at AAA until they're undoubtedly ready for the show.  

47 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Craig Kimbrell.  

This is a video game type idea but couldn’t we give this guy a one year deal at the money he wants and flip him at the deadline? Teams are gonna need an arm come August for down the stretch. I know it isn’t the best idea but im looking for more ways to add prospects. 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

With the O's holding the #1 waiver priority, is there a player or position that you see them claiming for the opening day 25-man roster that's not yet on the team?  This would likely be guys who are out of options that another team would try to sneak through.

I'm thinking a toolsy OF that hasn't quite put things together would be the perfect confluence of need and availability, in my opinion.  Maybe Eric Young Jr. is that player, but it would be great to get someone a bit younger for the 5th OF (after Mullins, Rickard, Mancini, Stewart)***/bench bat role who has some potential to put it together and be worth something going forward. Are there any players that anyone is aware of that would fit this bill?  Lists of players out of options are incredibly hard to come by.  A lot of my google searches actually return articles about Dylan Bundy being out of options.  It doesn't help that a lot of writers talk about teams' "options" at a given position.

I would think some form of reliever would be the next most likely, but I think we have some intriguing options there already.

***For the record, I'm in the camp of starting Diaz, Hays and McKenna at AAA until they're undoubtedly ready for the show.  

Doesn't Tampa have a lot of surplus and since they are "going for it" might excess someone valuable?

I could see some borderline 5th starter type being picked up on waivers at the end of camp and, depending on how the #4/#5 candidates have looked in camp, possibly grabbing a spot in the rotation.   Either a relatively young guy with potential, or some cheap barely competent veteran.

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Craig Kimbrell.  

3 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

This is a video game type idea but couldn’t we give this guy a one year deal at the money he wants and flip him at the deadline? Teams are gonna need an arm come August for down the stretch. I know it isn’t the best idea but im looking for more ways to add prospects. 

Also would prevent Givens from accumulating save numbers...

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I could see some borderline 5th starter type being picked up on waivers at the end of camp and, depending on how the #4/#5 candidates have looked in camp, possibly grabbing a spot in the rotation.   Either a relatively young guy with potential, or some cheap barely competent veteran.

I think Chris Tillman is available

As the OP has stated, an outfielder is likely.  Five outfielders will make the roster if we are counting Mancini. The rest of the candidates in big league camp are mostly minor leaguers who will require more seasoning (Diaz, Hays, McKenna) and Eric Young Jr.  I too think we can do better than Eric Young Jr. on the waiver wire. 

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

As the OP has stated, an outfielder is likely.  Five outfielders will make the roster if we are counting Mancini. The rest of the candidates in big league camp are mostly minor leaguers who will require more seasoning (Diaz, Hays, McKenna) and Eric Young Jr.  I too think we can do better than Eric Young Jr. on the waiver wire. 

I would also throw Joey Rickard into that statement with EY Jr as well.  Advanced metrics for defense are always finicky year to year, but it's looking like his fantastic 2017 defensive numbers are an aberration, and his offensive numbers are slightly below league average.  He will be 28 in May and I'd argue he would be AAA depth for at least 1/3 of the teams in the league, maybe more.  If we have an opportunity to add someone younger with potential that might still be unlocked, it's a no-brainer for me. 

Archived