Would it be better for us if Orioles sold rights and closed MASN

atomic

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Curious, during the Caps games what kind of commercials do you get? Are they local? 

This says it is due to local ad revenue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/04/05/cord-cutters-still-cant-watch-nats-or-orioles-games-they-arent-happy-about-it/

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Curious, during the Caps games what kind of commercials do you get? Are they local? 

This says it is due to local ad revenue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/04/05/cord-cutters-still-cant-watch-nats-or-orioles-games-they-arent-happy-about-it/

Yeah there are local commercials.  And this doesn't even make sense as non-local viewers can watch the games via streaming on MLBTV.  And I don't know why they don't just show the local commercials on MLBTv.  And how come MLB TV can't just show you commercials for your area? As they where you live.  

The whole thing makes zero sense. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the breakdown of revenue is for MASN, fees from cable providers vs advertising.

I keep hearing what a cash cow MASN is, but I just followed the rest of the world and  canceled the TV portion of my FIOS package and therefore my $7 MASN fee.

Isn't it a given that cable TV is going away? Then what happens to MASN??

26 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This says it is due to local ad revenue. 

The NBCSports (formerly Comcast Sports) shows local commercials through the stream.  If you watch ESPN, they have national and local commercials.  The national ones play, but the local ones do not.  You just see a black screen with the ESPN logo and some music in the background.  It sounds similar to Michael McDonald's "I keep forgetting we're not in love anymore".  My wife looks forward to my rendition during Monday Night Football.

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Is it better for the franchise to sell one of the most valuable parts of its portfolio, a reliable fire hydrant of a revenue stream that most teams are now taking in for a one-time payout so we can return to the days of relying on fluctuating ticket sales revenue and sponsorships while average payrolls across the league increase? 

Sure. Seems like a sound business strategy to me. 

You can continue on the current strategy and end up the way of Blockbuster.  Disney certainly has gotten wind that the old model of cable is going away. They are building their own streaming service. You can get a package on SlingTV with the Disney Channels and ESPN.   There a ton of streaming services and bundlers.  

The cash cow will eventually dry up if they don't adapt. Selling MASN would allow them to get maximum profits while not being responsible for the infrastructure.  I mean how many teams own their RSN? 

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah there are local commercials.  And this doesn't even make sense as non-local viewers can watch the games via streaming on MLBTV.  And I don't know why they don't just show the local commercials on MLBTv.  And how come MLB TV can't just show you commercials for your area? As they where you live.  

The whole thing makes zero sense. 

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

The NBCSports (formerly Comcast Sports) shows local commercials through the stream.  If you watch ESPN, they have national and local commercials.  The national ones play, but the local ones do not.  You just see a black screen with the ESPN logo and some music in the background.  It sounds similar to Michael McDonald's "I keep forgetting we're not in love anymore".  My wife looks forward to my rendition during Monday Night Football.

Thanks. 

I may be asking a bunch more questions once I get my internet upgraded. 

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Well there's MLB.tv, though last time I tried it, it was a video feed only, so no broadcasters or stats overlays.  Though I suppose you could also listen to the radio at the same time.

Radio guys are always better than TV guys, so your solution is the best one

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

You can continue on the current strategy and end up the way of Blockbuster.  Disney certainly has gotten wind that the old model of cable is going away. They are building their own streaming service. You can get a package on SlingTV with the Disney Channels and ESPN.   There a ton of streaming services and bundlers.  

The cash cow will eventually dry up if they don't adapt. Selling MASN would allow them to get maximum profits while not being responsible for the infrastructure.  I mean how many teams own their RSN? 

I don't really understand who would buy MASN at this point.  Do you mean selling their broadcast rights to NBC or Fox?

Don't the Steinbrenners own YES?

EDIT: the Steinbrenners don't own YES.  21st Century Fox does.

EDIT2: The Red Sox basically own NESN

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I don't really understand who would buy MASN at this point.  Do you mean selling their broadcast rights to NBC or Fox?

Don't the Steinbrenners own YES?

The Yankees own 20 percent of Yes.  Fox owns 80 percent.  24 of 30 mlb teams are either on Fox, NBC Sports or AT&T Sportsnet 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

That is because Disney was not allowed to buy them and is being forced to sell them. 

Right. The Yankees are actually buying back the FOX portion of YES and are looking at Amazon as a minority investor. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbusiness.com/media/fox-rsn-sale-grows-more-confusing-as-angels-owner-eyes-several-networks.amp

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Right. The Yankees are actually buying back the FOX portion of YES and are looking at Amazon as a minority investor. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbusiness.com/media/fox-rsn-sale-grows-more-confusing-as-angels-owner-eyes-several-networks.amp

Interesting.  I'd be content to stream games through Prime if that was a choice in the future.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Good article:

As FOX Business was first to report the RSNs have attracted at least three major bidders: John Malone's Liberty Media, Sinclair Broadcasting and Major League Baseball. All three bid around $10 billion for the 21 RSNs.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Interesting.  I'd be content to stream games through Prime if that was a choice in the future.

Seems like the issue is the buyer of the RSN's doesn't get right to stream them:

Meanwhile, bankers confused prospective buyers by suggesting the new owners would also own the crucial digital rights of baseball games, when those rights belong to the league and the teams.

Archived