Hard to keep Hays out of this lineup

Roy Firestone

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if he was doing better they would send him down?

You don't write off a player because of a poor spring training.

This new regime just did the opposite. They wrote off two of our best hitters in ST. And kept our worst hitters.

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Well...apparently it wasn't too hard to keep him out of the lineup

Really the most upsetting part about this is Rickard in right field. These guys will be up by June if they hit well

They kept Rickard and sent down Hays? 

7 hours ago, Natty said:

This new regime just did the opposite. They wrote off two of our best hitters in ST. And kept our worst hitters.

"Wrote off"?  Really?  We will be one of the worst teams in baseball and you want to start/continue clocks of these "best hitters".  The Padres just signed Manny,  but they will send down Tatis, Jr.

Hays should be up in June.  

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

As a 5th outfielder he's okay.  But there are 49 players who've played 100+ games in RF in the last three years and Rickard is 46th in OPS+.

OPS is an offensive stat. It’s incomplete not to consider defense.

by OPS, Mancini and Trumbo are probably far higher, but if you’d rather have one of them lurching around the OF, well then...

I’ve been pretty mad(clean version) since seeing Hays got sent down. After looking at the roster makeup, I could see why it happened. Davis and Trumbo taking up spots. Rio Ruiz having a big ST and basically forcing a platoon at 3B. Like it or not, we have to see what we have in Mullins in CF. Hays wasn’t going to force Mancini to the bench.

Oddly enough this season is going to get really fun, but we have to wait till June. #1 pick, and a Hays/Mullins/Diaz OF. Let’s just hope the vets can play individually well enough to have a selloff 2.0. 

20 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

If he is ready to play why not start him in the season opener? Delaying some clock or whatever seems silly to me.

The benefit is if you wait a month and a half this year, you can control him for another year down the line (assuming no change in the CBA). As others have pointed out, there are some other downsides (perhaps angering him a bit, and higher arbitration numbers sooner), but in my view, it’s worth it.

I can't fault the Orioles for doing what every other team in baseball is doing, but this service time manipulation game that everyone is playing is getting ridiculous. I typically break out the world's smallest violin when million dollar players complain about salaries, but this is something that really needs to change. And if I was running the Players Association it would be one of my top priorities.  

I

Archived