The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

11 hours ago, scOtt said:

You're just OVER THE TOP negative. It'll never work and we'll all be killed!!!!!!!!1!@!!!!1

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard for a few months. You are the LEAST objective poster I think I've ever seen.

Actually I am the only objective one posting.  No matter what the club is doing people on here support it. 

2 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

It is such a shame.  I really really enjoyed watching him play in 2013.  He would appear to just make simple contact and the ball would carry and carry and carry.  And he picked it with the glove nicely too.  

I really think we are dealing with a two or even three part issue:

1) Physical deterioration due to age.   Lack of bat speed, reflexes, etc.   It's not something that can be fixed.

2) Approach -- This is where Long has been trying to help him.   Stay behind the ball, go the opposite way.   And there have been glimmers of hope that it is paying off ... he's gone to the opposite field more, he hit a massive HR yesterday.   IF the changes in approach can stick consistently, you could see some improvement.   But how much improvement is limited by #1 above, which I think is the major factor in his decline.

3) This one might be a bit controversial.   But there definitely seems to be a lack of focus and attention.   We remember the famous picture of him looking off into the distance when the pitch is crossing the plate.   We've seen him take a LOT of pitches that look fat right down the middle.   Yesterday a routine toss from Yacabonis for an attempted 1-3 putout hit him in the chest.   I don't know anything about ADD, and I'm sure the popular perception ("ooh look a squirrel") is oversimplified and doesn't tell the full story.   But there certainly seems to be evidence that he just isn't mentally focused.   

So you've got one problem -- skill deterioration -- that can't be fixed.   Maybe he can make some changes in approach that can help a little.   As to #3... I don't know if his current medication isn't working, or if he just mentally checked out after things started so badly last year.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Actually I am the only objective one posting.  No matter what the club is doing people on here support it. 

It’s Opposite Day. Cool. I’ll play. 

Chris Davis is the best and if I had to think of one thing that the OH needs more of, it would either be more atomic or more cowbell. But I’m pretty sure it would be more atomic. 

Bring the heat baby!!!!?

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It’s Opposite Day. Cool. I’ll play. 

Chris Davis is the best and if I had to think of one thing that the OH needs more of, it would either be more atomic or more cowbell. But I’m pretty sure it would be more atomic. 

Bring the heat baby!!!!

I was never a Davis fan.  I always thought he was overrated by WAR and hated the signing of him.  He is the worst.  When he had his .196 season and PED suspension people on here were saying how he was productive that season.  I was totally disagreeing with that. 

I don't like Davis.  If I were to actually watch the games I would not want to see him play.  But the team isn't going to release him.  They have made zero effort to improve a 47 win team and have actually made it arguably worse.  

You can see the reality of the situation:

A) The team is going to be worst in league with Davis or without Davis.

B) Ownership is not going to release Davis.

I am not sure why Davis has the obsession he does on here.  While no one cares that the team isn't even trying to improve.  Or willing to spend money on anything that would help the team. 

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was never a Davis fan.  I always thought he was overrated by WAR and hated the signing of him.  He is the worst.  When he had his .196 season and PED suspension people on here were saying how he was productive that season.  I was totally disagreeing with that. 

I don't like Davis.  If I were to actually watch the games I would not want to see him play.  But the team isn't going to release him.  They have made zero effort to improve a 47 win team and have actually made it arguably worse.  

You can see the reality of the situation:

A) The team is going to be worst in league with Davis or without Davis.

B) Ownership is not going to release Davis.

I am not sure why Davis has the obsession he does on here.  While no one cares that the team isn't even trying to improve.  Or willing to spend money on anything that would help the team. 

You seem to write about him more than any other single poster.

• Upvote 2

I’d obviously love it if he was released before the season, but considering what the state of the team it’s not realistic. 

If the team is horrible what difference does it make if a horrible version of Davis is the only possible outcome and he remains on the team? Surely, even the younger players will understand it’s a financial decision. I hate that but Elias and co. have inherited him. It’s understandable with the current state of the team.

Therefore, it’s conceivable he could still be there going into 2020 for the same reasons.

I voted after the AS break before the season ends because Elias probably wants to make a statement about the team that develops without a burdensome contract in the way. 

Maybe it doesn’t happen, but if he really has free reign, without interference from ownership, that would convince me. 

Until it does I’m not sure anyone can ever be convinced things have changed under the brothers’ leadership. Whatever he’s owed, or whether a buyout can be achieved is all conjecture until then. And $90+ mil is a whole lotta money to walk away from without letting him become the bust I suspect most of us here already think he is. And probably Hyde and Elias, too.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, interloper said:

I chose during the offseason. My reasoning here is, I think Elias may want to say to ownership "we gave him the full year". In this scenario, if Davis is clearly toast for the first couple of months, they would bench him while Elias "intervenes", as he said he would. He re-debuts again pre/post All-Star break and they give him the rest of the season. 

Then, if he still stinks, I think Elias has an iron-clad case to release him during the offseason, when the press is in low-key mode and unable to get to Davis and when Elias/the organization can make a single statement about it until the Winter Meetings. 

Hadn’t read the most of the thread, but this makes sense. 

• Thanks 1