The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

1 hour ago, milbest77 said:

He’s not going anywhere. This ownership (I understand the sons seem to be doing things differently) will not pay a guy to play for someone else. Honestly, are there any past examples of them letting someone go who was still under contract? I am sure there are a few, but under a contract of magnitude? 

As I recall, wasn’t a Ubaldo trade in 2016 held up over $1 million that the Blue Jays would not pay? 

Ponson but they tried to frame it under bad behavior.

1 hour ago, milbest77 said:

He’s not going anywhere. This ownership (I understand the sons seem to be doing things differently) will not pay a guy to play for someone else. Honestly, are there any past examples of them letting someone go who was still under contract? I am sure there are a few, but under a contract of magnitude? 

As I recall, wasn’t a Ubaldo trade in 2016 held up over $1 million that the Blue Jays would not pay? 

Depends what you consider a contract of magnitude, but Brady was let go with a $7 mm season left on his contract.    And he was nowhere near as bad as Davis.   

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ponson but they tried to frame it under bad behavior.

Tried?    The guy’s behavior was atrocious and I doubt they would have cut him but for that behavior. To me it’s a crying shame that they eventually settled and paid him.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Tried?    The guy’s behavior was atrocious and I doubt they would have cut him but for that behavior. To me it’s a crying shame that they eventually settled and paid him.    

Tried, yea, they had to pay him a large percentage of his salary.

If he had been putting up a 4.21 ERA and not a 6.21 ERA (5.30 ERA the year before) do they cut him for his bad behavior?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tried, yea, they had to pay him a large percentage of his salary.

If he had been putting up a 4.21 ERA and not a 6.21 ERA (5.30 ERA the year before) do they cut him for his bad behavior?

I’d forgotten he was that putrid.    Still, with more than a season left on his contract, I don’t think they would have released him but for his repeatedly irresponsible conduct.  

Now, you pose the interesting question of whether they’d have further indulged him if he’d been pitching better.     Short answer is, I don’t know.   They’d already put up with his arrest for punching a judge and a prior drink driving arrest, so maybe they would have, but it’s hard to say.   

I voted for makes it to regular season 2020.

He's the extreme test case for how much (or whether?) the new regime can help someone who has totally bottomed out.  I think 12 months is fairer than 3 months to see if that can take root, and we have nothing to lose.  The path to 2021 Executive of the Year contention isn't just the Adley rookie of the year and top-tier farm, but for nursing Davis back to 1-win "health".  The path to winning the award is a 2-win recovery and July 2021 trade with us only having to cover about 75% of the remainder.

Standard disclaimer that everyone who matters can still get 1000 PA's from May 2020 to the end of 2021 to acclimate for when we might matter again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I guess whenever MountCastle hits his way up while playing 1B (hopefully) that will be the day Davis is demoted. So it could be as late as August or possibly next year. 

That's why I said during the All Star break. It gives enough time for both Davis to show he's not improving at all and (hopefully) enough time for Mountcastle to be coached and practiced and show he can handle 1B. We all assume he'll hit, especially at AAA. Plus it's just a nice tidy break point in the season. Fresh start for everyone (Elias included...) after the break.

Should have been done this offseason.

But I get it, I get it...the new regime has to try and fix him.  And that's ok.

I think he's got until the All-Star Break.  At that point if he's doing terrible like he was last year and if Mountcastle is raking, I think a change is made and they release him.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

If Mancini is hitting well AND Mountcastle is coming on ....they may just keep Davis on the team in 2019 and trade Mancini for prospects. 

Do you think Mancini is going to bring back anything of real value?

I don't see it unless he takes a step forward from his 2017 season.