The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

7 hours ago, mrpennybags said:

Christ took the golden sombrero today; surprisingly just his second of the season. I'd have guessed he had half a dozen by now.

That’s his cross to bear.   I too am surprised that’s just his second this year.   

33 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Bill Bergen once had about 2400 consecutive PAs below .200.

Interesting.    The guy played 11 years and had a negative WAR in 10 of them.    Obviously his teams felt that if you were a good defensive catcher, offense was completely irrelevant.   Career .170/.194/.201 hitter and yet he played 11 seasons.    Unbelievable.   Perhaps not coincidentally, 9 of the 11 seasons he played on teams that were absolutely terrible.   

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.    The guy played 11 years and had a negative WAR in 10 of them.    Obviously his teams felt that if you were a good defensive catcher, offense was completely irrelevant.   Career .170/.194/.201 hitter and yet he played 11 seasons.    Unbelievable.   Perhaps not coincidentally, 9 of the 11 seasons he played on teams that were absolutely terrible.   

Pre-1920 catchers were almost on the verge of being treated like pitchers.  They listed the projected battery for the upcoming game(s) in the papers - i.e. the pitcher and the catcher.  Roger Bresnahan didn't come up with shinguards until the early 1900s.  Until around 1900 most catchers would play 10' behind home plate until a batter got two strikes to avoid foul tips and to be able to better smother the ball.  You just couldn't catch every day with that kind of beating.  The median OPS+ for catchers prior to 1920 (min 1000 PAs) is 80.  

But even in that context Bergen is on another planet.  His 21 OPS+ is 126th out of 126 pre-1920 catchers, and is less than half of the #125 guy, the immortal Fritz Buelow.

Almost every season of the Brooklyn team during Bergen's career is among the 50-lowest scoring teams in NL history.  The 1908 Dodgers missed being the lowest scoring team in NL history by 0.02 runs/game.  They scored 375 runs all year.  The 2019 Orioles had allowed 375 runs by about June 5th.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You've got to make an adjustment.  You've got to make an adjustment.  You've got to stop playing him.

Just now, Ripken said:

At least he made an error too.  Oh, wait...

I wonder if that error added to Hyde’s frustration 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I wonder if that error added to Hyde’s frustration 

Yes I phrased it as a joke but Hyde really does need to just sit him on the end of the bench.  Unless of course he's under orders to play him.  Just let him rot there for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes I phrased it as a joke but Hyde really does need to just sit him on the end of the bench.  Unless of course he's under orders to play him.  Just let him rot there for the rest of the season.

I know you did. 

Who knows what they are telling him to do. 

41 minutes ago, weams said:

It's reassuring to know that the manager actually wants to win the games.

That said, a lot of players much better than recent and contemporary Chris Davis have K'd with the bases loaded in late innings. He still has an impressive record batting with RISP.

I expect--and hope--that he will find less playing time once the dust has settled from supposedly imminent trades and some outfielders are brought up from the farm. Although at the same time, if Mancini is traded, the opposite may actually occur: that would seal Davis' hold on first base, especially now that Ruiz is gone and Nunez slots in more at 3rd and DH.