Starting pitching available

OriolesMagic83

The O's desperately need more starting pitching.  The starting staff was highly suspect when it was led by Cobb, Cashner, and Bundy.  With Cobb probably out for several weeks(?), and Bundy one random pitch away from season ending surgery, this rotation could easily fall apart.  The O's seemed to pick up 1/2 the utility players in the majors, but competition for the starting rotation should have been a higher priority.  Edwin Jackson looks like a good candidate.  Yeah, I know he was terrible when he was here, but he would have likely been the staff ace last year.  Any other ideas for candidates?

A spate of injuries devastated the A’s rotation in 2018 and forced them to rely heavily on inexpensive signings Trevor Cahill, Edwin Jackson and Brett Anderson – three veterans whose best days looked long gone when the club added them. As it turned out, though, the trio held up reasonably well over a combined 282 1/3 innings and helped the upstart A’s to a wild-card berth. Cahill, the most effective member of the group, parlayed his strong 2018 into a $9MM guarantee with the division-rival Angels over the winter. Oakland also waved goodbye to Jackson, who hasn’t landed a deal with anyone despite his resurgent season, though it did bring back Anderson.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/athletics-shut-down-luzardo-for-4-6-weeks-olson-to-be-evaluated-for-hand-injury.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+(MLB+Trade+Rumors)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long have you been an O's fan?  Needing pitching is not new to the O's.   They just traded for Tyler Herb,  27 year old 5th starter candidate.  He and the other 5th starters like Rogers, Wright, Means, Ynoa, and Ramirez are probably as good as the guys you mentioned.  The O's are going to lose this season.

What the O's need is Harvey, Akin and Kremer to have good years in the minors and be ready to help this year next season.

O’s have been pretty focused on improving defense this offseason. I think the plan is to throw in some of the cost controlled AAAA pitchers we have and see if any of them stick. May pick up some other of these types. Its a sound strategy if done intelligently, but I don’t see the point in picking up a not much left in the tank veteran.

7 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

O’s have been pretty focused on improving defense this offseason. I think the plan is to throw in some of the cost controlled AAAA pitchers we have and see if any of them stick. May pick up some other of these types. Its a sound strategy if done intelligently, but I don’t see the point in picking up a not much left in the tank veteran.

Yea, Mancini and Davis looked pretty impressive out there yesterday.

Archived