The Trey Mancini can really hit thread

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

They are also quite different in that Mancini has been as productive in two years as Reimold was in his eight year career.  

If only Reimold hadn't been injured so much.... When he was fit and first came up he looked like a toolsy player that was actually going to fulfill his physical potential.

He was also a very good baserunner with surprising speed for a guy his size with slugging power, especially down the first-base line. I've noticed Mancini also makes plays at first base closer than one would expect, but I don't know what his actual average running time is compared to Nolan's.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

If only Reimold hadn't been injured so much.... When he was fit and first came up he looked like a toolsy player that was actually going to fulfill his physical potential.

He was also a very good baserunner with surprising speed for a guy his size with slugging power, especially down the first-base line. I've noticed Mancini also makes plays at first base closer than one would expect, but I don't know what his actual average time is compared to Nolan's.

Reimold was actually pretty fast.  I don't think Mancini is that fast, really.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Reimold was actually pretty fast.  I don't think Mancini is that fast, really.

Yeah Reimold had tons of speed. I always wondered how a guy that fast could be that bad in left field. 

Anyway I hope they keep Mancini out of the outfield. It is probably stressful to be put in a position you are incapable of playing and it probably has affected his hitting.  Put him at DH for the rest of the year.  See if he can hit well enough to stay there. 

The sample size isn't large enough yet but from the stats we have presently, Mancini is a much better hitter as a DH. He's at a .298 .333 .936 clip with a .305 ISO and 144 wRC+. Due for some regression there probably but he seems much more comfortable at the plate as a DH. Hopefully he stays there even when Trumbo comes back.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In another timeline (don’t laugh) Reimold could have been a five tool player. 

He just couldn’t manage to stay healthy for more than ten minutes at a time. 

Well one of the five tools is fielding. He certainly didn't have that as he couldn't field to save his life. If he had arm strength he probably would have played right field more.  He didn't hit for average, and he didn't have a high slugging percentage and he didn't steal bases.

Reimold came up at 25 and had a good rookie year but other than that he was terrible.  The only reason he stayed around so long was because he was Brady's friend. 

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

He was also a very good baserunner with surprising speed for a guy his size with slugging power, especially down the first-base line. I've noticed Mancini also makes plays at first base closer than one would expect, but I don't know what his actual average running time is compared to Nolan's.

He looked the part, for sure. Certainly looked the part enough that he was given many chances to make it. A bummer. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Well one of the five tools is fielding. He certainly didn't have that as he couldn't field to save his life. If he had arm strength he probably would have played right field more.  He didn't hit for average, and he didn't have a high slugging percentage and he didn't steal bases.

Reimold came up at 25 and had a good rookie year but other than that he was terrible.  The only reason he stayed around so long was because he was Brady's friend. 

I get so sick of the Brady is the root of all evil narrative.   

Reimold was pretty good a lot of the time.    That’s why he got lots of chances.  .831 OPS in 2009.   .781 in 2011.   .960 in 2012.    Lest anyone forget, it was his clutch double that tied Game 162 against the Red Sox in ‘11, and he scored the winning run.    

I was not, repeat not, one of Reimold’s fanboys.    But he had his moments.   

As to his fielding, his arm was just fine, thank you.    He played LF because Markakis was entrenched in RF.    Was he a good judge of fly balls?    No, not at all.    Overall a below average fielder.    But his arm was very solid.   

17 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

They are also quite different in that Mancini has been as productive in two years as Reimold was in his eight year career.  

You can look at it that way, but Reimold’s first two years were 2.6 and -0.3, while Manicini’s were 2.3 and -0.1.     (I’m ignoring Mancini’s few games from 2016 here.)    So, pretty similar to this point.    Reimold managed 1.0 and 0.6 the next two seasons — let’s hope Mancini will top that, but he’ll have to prove it.    Injuries derailed Reimold’s career after that and hopefully that won’t happen to Mancini.    In terms of overall skill I do think they’re pretty similar.   But there’s a very good chance that by the end of this year Mancini will have passed Reimold in career PA (right now he’s at 1241 and Reimold ended at 1556).   Staying healthy is a skill.   

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can look at it that way, but Reimold’s first two years were 2.6 and -0.3, while Manicini’s were 2.3 and -0.1.     (I’m ignoring Mancini’s few games from 2016 here.)    So, pretty similar to this point.    Reimold managed 1.0 and 0.6 the next two seasons — let’s hope Mancini will top that, but he’ll have to prove it.    Injuries derailed Reimold’s career after that and hopefully that won’t happen to Mancini.    In terms of overall skill I do think they’re pretty similar.   But there’s a very good chance that by the end of this year Mancini will have passed Reimold in career PA (right now he’s at 1241 and Reimold ended at 1556).   Staying healthy is a skill.   

Their productivity to this point in Mancini's career are remarkably similar. Mancini 51 doubles and 51 home runs. Reimold 61 doubles and 56 home runs. 308 hits for Mancini, 339 for Reimold. Reimold was much better at drawing walks (150 to 77). Until this thread I had never thought of them as comps because Reimold was way more athletic, a much better runner, etc. Mancini could always hit pretty well, but Reimold seemed a much more complete prospect and as prospects he certainly seemed to have a higher ceiling than Trey. But Reimold had injury problems even in the minors, if I recall. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Their productivity to this point in Mancini's career are remarkably similar. Mancini 51 doubles and 51 home runs. Reimold 61 doubles and 56 home runs. 308 hits for Mancini, 339 for Reimold. Reimold was much better at drawing walks (150 to 77). Until this thread I had never thought of them as comps because Reimold was way more athletic, a much better runner, etc. Mancini could always hit pretty well, but Reimold seemed a much more complete prospect and as prospects he certainly seemed to have a higher ceiling than Trey. But Reimold had injury problems even in the minors, if I recall. 

All kinds of problems.    I do think Reimold had a higher ceiling, but injuries kept him from reaching it.  

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Reimold was a legit LF with speed. Mancini is or should be a 1B, with less on base skills, but maybe a better hitter if that makes sense. Take injuries out of the equation and I would pick Reimold for his defensive edge.  

Archived