The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

12 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Why? There is nothing controversial about African Americans being treated harshly by our judiciary. It was a high - very high quality quip.

I don’t have edit powers, so if that is ban worthy, the community will have its mean IQ cut in half. Harsh penalty for the entirety of the OH. 

We will still have @Can_of_corn.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Apparently, Seattle is unspeakably bad.   -43 already in less than half a season.   

Should be a really crisp series coming up!

I assume that Beckham is a big part of that?

31 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I assume that Beckham is a big part of that?

Yes, but they have big problems all over the field.  Heck, they have an outfielder who’s made 9 errors!   They’ve made 22 more errors than the next most error-prone team (which is us).    

4 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

This should be an interesting series. ?

At least Encarnacion is no longer on that team, so I don't have to recall that play-in game, Buck's Biggest Blunder, and the Weaver Special off of Britton, I mean Ubaldo. But oh yeah, now that he's on the Yankees, we'll actually face him more.

• 5 weeks later...

Game 98, July 21

There were some excellent defensive plays in yesterday’s one hitter, four of which I’ll mention here.

- With nobody out and a runner on 1st in the 6th inning, Chris Davis gloved a hard-hit ball over the bag, stepped on the edge facing home plate, took one more step towards home as he pivoted, and fired a strike to 2B that allowed Villar to apply the tag and complete a DP.  Davis has always been very good at feeds to 2B and this was a good example.

- With Givens in the game in the 9th, Devers laced a rising liner to RF that Mancini went back on and almost misjudged it but he leaped and made a nice outstretched catch.

- The next hitter hit a ball in the RCF gap but Wilkerson raced over and made a nice backhand catch while running pretty much full speed.

- The final hitter of the game hit a ground ball in the 1B/2B hole, but Chris Davis made a diving stop and an accurate flip to Givens, who hustled over to cover 1B on the play.    The defense was in a RH pull shift, so Davis was about halfway between 1st and 2nd when he made the stop.    The stop, the accurate throw from his knees at that distance, and Given’s presence of mind to get to 1B on a ball hit that far towards 2B were all very impressive.

• Upvote 1

Game 100, July 23

- On a slow roller, Renato Núñez charged and threw to 1st but the runner barely beat the throw.    Not an error, but a better 3B makes that play a little more quickly and throws a little more on line and the runner is out by half a step.    

- Next play is a grounder to Núñez and he makes a solid throw to Alberto at 2B, who double clutches but still gets his relay throw to 1B in time for a double play.   

- Jarrod Dyson gets on 1B on a beautiful drag bunt, but Davis catches a low liner and makes a diving tag of Dyson, who was diving back to the bag, for an unassisted DP.    Dyson was originally called safe, but that call was overruled after a video challenge.

- On a stolen base attempt, Sisco makes a comically bad throw that is both high and wide to the 1B side of 2B, and it sails into the OF and the runner advances to 3rd.   

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

A friend pointed this find out to me.  As someone who assails all ranking system that employ these disjoint defensive quantifications, I thought I'd share with you. 

"Xander Bogaerts has put up the 18th highest defensive value of all MLB players this year according to Fangraphs' Def metric. He's easily last in the majors with -20 DRS.
UZR has always been much kinder to Bogaerts than DRS, which probably explains why Fangraphs users think he's been criminally underrated for years, while bRef users don't get what the fuss is all about."

Tighten it UP!

1 minute ago, weams said:

A friend pointed this find out to me.  As someone who assails all ranking system that employ these disjoint defensive quantifications, I thought I'd share with you. 

"Xander Bogaerts has put up the 18th highest defensive value of all MLB players this year according to Fangraphs' Def metric. He's easily last in the majors with -20 DRS.
UZR has always been much kinder to Bogaerts than DRS, which probably explains why Fangraphs users think he's been criminally underrated for years, while bRef users don't get what the fuss is all about."

Tighten it UP!

It's pretty simple, Bogaerts is a terrific framer.  ?

• Thanks 1