Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, weams said:

40 pitches in game two. 80 in game four.  Petey though he should have been aloud to go though ;)

40 pitches in game one wasn’t it?  ...Thursday, not Saturday.   But I still agree with the decision.  All is good at 3-1 and breaking a 10 gMe losing streak in Toronto. 

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If you would like...I can list the 50 pitchers since 1999 who have pitched no hitters...with the single exception of Johan Santana who went to 134 pitches, I am not aware of any whose career was damaged.   

I Wiki'd the list.  The first name that I wasn't sure about was Phil Humber.  I looked him up -  He pitched a freakin perfect game in APRIL... 2012 after a very solid 2011 season.  He allowed 20 runs in his next 3 starts - in 13.2 innings and his career was over the next season.  Cases like that are probably common.  You don't know for sure one way or the other if the no-hitter caused or contributed to ending his career, but it's certainly possible and perhaps likely.  

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I don't understand your question? It was a dominant performance with a comfortable lead. It's not like he had any 12-pitch battles with Mike Trout with the tying run on third. 

I understand where you're coming from, and I know I'll get blasted for this (I also really don't care) but to me, 95 mph is 95 mph.  And if that 95 mph pitch is coming on the 85th pitch in the 7th inning with a comfortable lead...or if that 95 mph pitch is coming on the 85th pitch in the 5th inning...they still threw 85 pitches in a game and were hitting 95.  The only difference is that in the first instance, he's gotten more rest between innings.  

A 12 pitch battle with Mike Trout and a runner on third, I would argue, is more mentally taxing than physically taxing.  It takes a lot more mental energy and strength to bear down and keep attacking in that situation, way more than a 4 pitch at bat that results in a strikeout.  But as I said, if that 85th pitch is coming in the 5th or 7th, 95 is still 95. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What do you think I am saying? 

My point is we are keeping a bench player who never plays and using an opener with a staff that until tonight hasn’t gone deep. It won’t work. 

Do you think the plan is to keep it going that way all year? I certainly don't. This is baseball. Things change.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I Wiki'd the list.  The first name that I wasn't sure about was Phil Humber.  I looked him up -  He pitched a freakin perfect game in APRIL... 2012 after a very solid 2011 season.  He allowed 20 runs in his next 3 starts - in 13.2 innings and his career was over the next season.  Cases like that are probably common.  You don't know for sure one way or the other if the no-hitter caused or contributed to ending his career, but it's certainly possible and perhaps likely.  

I've always thought that a guy making a start after a no-hitter almost always has a poor outing.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What do you think I am saying? 

My point is we are keeping a bench player who never plays and using an opener with a staff that until tonight hasn’t gone deep. It won’t work. 

Doesn't make sense to have both Alberto and Jackson on the team.  Pick one of them and send the other packing.

Archived