Why Not?

Uli2001

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

I am not normally one to engage in things like extreme optimism, but I would be surprised if this team didn't win at least 60 games. New management, new manager and coaching staff, new culture and a bunch of young players who just want to play for a team with no expectations at all. Speedy team that can hit a little with a lot of potential for growth with many of these players. I say this team wins no less than 63 games this year. However, I will stop short of 87 wins, so no "Why not?" for me.

I don't know how many wins they will get, but I know that good starts in baseball are very important. And by that I mean a solid first two weeks. This was a good step in that direction.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team may have less talent than last year’s( though I’m not sure that’s true, except for Manny and Britton) but last years team had multiple duplicate players who all did the same one single good thing and who could do nothing else.

The leadership was bad. We’ve already seen Elias’ ability to create a flexible roster( not elite quality, mind you, but flexible. Versatile. With the virtues of speed and defense that were horribly lacking last season.) just having a good defensive outfield is huge.

Also, Hyde’s willingness to pull a starter quickly, hit Davis down in the lineup, pinch-hit for him, or sit him completely, juggle the bullpen, encourage aggressive but not stupid base running are all virtues we didn’t see last season.

I’ve said since spring that merely subtracting the negatives should be worth 20 wins over last season, and I meant it.

I’d be surprised at 75, but I wouldn’t be surprised at 70, and I’ll be disappointed with fewer than 65.

4/1/19

Well, the first month of the season is gone. The Orioles finished March with a blistering pace by playing .667 baseball.  Getting contributions from everyone these new Orioles seem serious about scrapping in any way possible.  There has been no complaining about not having Manny and there have been no fire drill rushing some AAAA guy no one ever head of to pitch  while there are many questions about these birds that still have to be answered, the biggest one today will be one that a “play em one day at a time” mentality says they can’t focus on.  That question is can these birds exceed their 47 wins from 2018 and if so, by how much.

As the birds take flight from NY after whipping the MFY in two of three games, the possibilities seem...imaginable 

I'm not as PC so I'm dubbing this year the F It Season. Whether they actually compete, play spoilers late, or just lay down dead all year. Either way F It and go play some ball for the future. 

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Why not celebrate every victory as we watch the kids develop?

That’s how I see it.   Just savor each win, don’t worry about the sustainability of them.   Just enjoy them!

13 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I'm going to leave this here

The 2018 Orioles won the first series in NY 3-1, April 5-8.   
NY won 11 of the next 15 match-ups.

Having said that, unlike last year, this team is universally picked to be lousy from the beginning, so this series was particularly sweet.

I agree. 

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe optimism and enthusiasm are two qualities in life that are crucial to success. I am not a pessimist. I am a realist.I don't think this team, as constructed is going to win many games, but this is ground floor of a new building,I am optimistic for the future, and my enthusiasm remains every time the team shows grit and spunk and desire. Thats all I have to say.

I would love to hear what you think should be done to rebuild this team more quickly. I'm sure you have a take here. 

Why doesn't someone (who knows how) start a poll? While we are feeling sky-high, everyone can pick which game we first (OK, second, but lets forget opening day) go under .500.  I've got 11. Before the season began I would have predicted 1 or 3.

Archived