The Silver Lining Report: Game 3/162

interloper

The purpose of these was really to highlight the glimmers of good in all the losses. So far, the O's are dead set on kind of ruining my thread idea, but hey I'll take it! 

• Renato Núñez: Boooooooooooooooom. The young man launches the Orioles' first dong, an Earl special, and does so with style, dropping his bat and watching it go. I like this guy as a DH quite a bit. Also added a single. 

• Joey Rickard: An unlikely opposite field 2-run bomb that squeaked over the short porch in RF. As an added bonus, we were treated to Jim Palmer roasting the Yankees for not choosing to pitch to Davis instead with a lefty on the mound. This was the difference maker in the game. 

• Trey Mancini: Solo HR on a pitch down and in that he cranked. Added his 4th infield single of the year. I think he only had one ball hit to him in RF, and made the play as the wind blew it around. 

• Dylan Bundy: Silver lining: 7 Ks, 0 home runs.

• John Means: Did we know about this changeup? Cuz damn! Pitching wins are dumb but he earned this one, saving the 'pen and striking out 5 over 3.1 IP, making guys like Stanton look foolish on 80 mph stuff in the process. He'd get the laundry cart treatment after the game, but we'll get to that later.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: Just keeps trucking out there. Another double and another RBI single. 

• Pedro Severino: In our very first look at Pedro as an Oriole, I was impressed. Like Sucre, he stays engaged out there. Appears to do a nice job attempting to frame pitches (on a tough day with Bucknor calling the balls and strikes). Gets pumped for his pitchers on strikeouts. I have to say, it's nice having 2 catchers cut from the same kind of cloth. Severino and Sucre bring a presence and it's refreshing. 

• Mychal Givens: What he lacked in sharpness, he made up for in simply getting the job done. Brought in once again in a high-leverage 8th inning to face the Yankees' heart of the order and got through it. 

• Paul Fry: Sealed the deal, striking out Tulo on a pretty nasty slider to end the game. 

• Mini Rainbows: Richie Martin with a real nice play on a hard shot to short. Chris Davis almost hit one out, 1 BB, 0 K's. Ruiz another fine play, this one a running throw on a slow roller. Villar with his 1st SB. 

• Judge & Stanton: Held to a combined 6-20 for the series, all singles.

• The Laundry Cart Orioles: They love these carts. Another two Orioles were shoved into the cart and given an Oriole Shower (orange shower?). This time it was Means for his first win and Tim Cossins for his birthday. Somewhere, Mark Trumbo is dreading his return to what appears to be a group that wants to have fun.
  • Yankees Fans: Still losing it, and calling for Boone's head. Enjoy the comments: 

See you in Toronto!

BOOM.   And just like that, the Elias and Hyde regime step into the lion's den and punch that sucka right in the mouth.

My expectations and focus are not changed from long term.  But my favorite part of getting Buck, was when he first got here, he unapologeticly refused to back down to the Yankees and Red Sox.  And aside from whether ownership would hinder an actual rebuild, my biggest fear of the new guys was whether or not they would do the same.

Call me impressed.  

There is a long long.....yes, long, way to go.  But that was a great start to a new era!!!!!!
Congrats.

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

They seem really upset with Stanton...  Davis for Stanton , Yankees eat 10-15 mill per year after Davis contract expires?  Seems fair.

Well, they got their collective wish somewhat...

https://nypost.com/2019/04/01/yankees-abruptly-place-giancarlo-stanton-on-injured-list/

The Yankees’ start to the season took another bad turn Monday, when they placed Giancarlo Stanton on the 10-day injured list with a left biceps strain.

Clint Frazier has been recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to take his spot.

Stanton is 2-for-8 with seven walks in the team’s first three games and started all three games in left field against the Orioles.

A lot of hate for a guy currently rocking a .600 OBP.

Archived