Random: what's with all the face guard helmets?

interloper

Anyone else notice this? Previously, it seemed like they were only used with guys who had been hit in the head, etc. But now I'm seeing a lot of players use them, especially on the O's.

I've noticed the following guys use them consistently:

Villar
Ruiz
Mancini

And can we get a helmet that stays on Martin's head? I think it's his hair that's the culprit, but there must be a solution. 

Probably feel more comfortable with them. There have been quite a few times the last few seasons where someone either gets hit in the face by a pitch, or they foul one off into the ground and it bounces back into their face. Plus pitchers are throwing "high and inside" fastballs up in the zone more.

I'd wear a suit of armor if I had to face Chapman...

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Probably feel more comfortable with them. There have been quite a few times the last few seasons where someone either gets hit in the face by a pitch, or they foul one off into the ground and it bounces back into their face. Plus pitchers are throwing "high and inside" fastballs up in the zone more.

I'd wear a suit of armor if I had to face Chapman...

This is a good point. There is more velocity and more pitches up in the zone these days.

48 minutes ago, interloper said:

By the way, I have no real opinion here. They look kind of cool. I wonder if it's a fashion choice or if guys just feel more comfortable with them. 

I imagine if it doesn't bother the player, why would they not use the extra protection?

I don’t have MASN anymore, so the games I’ve seen have been in bars while on a business trip. And from the distance, I thought Mancini had a really thick beard the first time I saw him stride to the plate. Then I realize it’s the face guard. Though on a close up, I see he does have some growth there on his face. The facial hair rule seems to have been waived or loosened a good bit under Hyde. 

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

I watched a little of the Cubs/Braves game and they made a comment that their usage is up throughout the league.  

I guess Villar uses two different helmets??

I think that’s the case, two helmets. I have seen a switch hitter (not an Oriole) in recent times come to bat with the wrong helmet on, ie the ear flap on the wrong ear. It’s the only time I’ve seen that personally. Has probably happened more than just that time. 

They are called c-flaps.  They began to proliferate in the last couple years.  More will be showing up in amateur play when they finish up through testing.  They are considered an improvement on the face cage design.

42 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I don’t have MASN anymore, so the games I’ve seen have been in bars while on a business trip. And from the distance, I thought Mancini had a really thick beard the first time I saw him stride to the plate. Then I realize it’s the face guard. Though on a close up, I see he does have some growth there on his face. The facial hair rule seems to have been waived or loosened a good bit under Hyde. 

That rule seems to be gone. Most players on the team have facial hair now.

Archived