Where do you draw "the line" for trading away performers

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

As does Givens. Moving them both before seasons end, if they can get a solid return should be no-brainer moves. Same with Villar if he can rebuild his value. Bundy and Cobb should be made available too if people ask. 

I think Givens will be easier to move than Mancini. Mancini comes across as a dime a dozen type of player...so even if he hits, every other team has a similar enough player somewhere in the organization that they probably wouldn’t offer a whole lot. 

Mancini would have to REALLY be hitting, like an .850 + OPS to drum up some real trade value. 

I'm comfortable holding onto Villar if there isn't a market for him.  We need someone to play 2B next year.  It'll depend on how he hits.  I get the feeling that he's not real highly regarded around the league.  

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wouldn’t give players away. A lot has to do on the market as well. Givens and Mancini would bring back the most. 

Exactly, I hold onto Cobb if he is going to give the most value pitching for the Orioles instead of trading him just to get suspect prospects.

Don’t need a repeat of the 2000 firesale and Elias isn’t going to do that anyways. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Frederick and Delmarva look real light on position prospects. Not exactly a pipeline to Baltimore in the near future. We need to add to our wave of position player prospects that will be here in the next 1-2 years. After that the cupboard looks bare. 

Take a look at how unbalanced our last couple of drafts have been and you’ll understand why.  

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

How much value does a player like Mancini really have though?

Seems like right handed power hitters who can only play 1B adequately or DH are dime a dozen

That’s sort of beside the point. Ultimately this is a question of where do we draw the line between those who will potentially be a part of the future, those who won’t, and the grey area in between. 

7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Obviously the situation is developing and this will depend on a lot of things that are yet to happen, but as of now where do you draw the line for trading away current performers?  This basically boils down to how you identify players that will be a part of a future contending Orioles team and those that won't.

For me, I think the trickiest or sort of "median" case is that of Trey Mancini.  After 2019, he will have three arb-eligible seasons before hitting FA.  It's possible that he could be around for two years of competitive Orioles baseball (2021 and 2022) depending on how other things shake out, but he may have more value as a trade chip if he ends up regaining .800+ OPS form this season (higher is better, obviously).  I would think you would have to consider trading him at the 2020 deadline to open room for other guys to play and high with 2.5 years of control remaining.

If this is a "Why Not?" season, then I'm not as interested in this question, but I am not ready to change expectations based on a good 4-game performance by the team. Interested to hear where you all draw the line for future contributors vs. trade chips.  Also, this can be different for different players/positions.  In the OF, for example, you may be willing to ship guys out faster due to the relative surplus of guys in the minors who should be coming up over the next two seasons (i.e. Stewart, Hays, Diaz, McKenna).  Interested to hear those distinctions as well.

I don't.

Our FO is looking to trade vets who will not be here during our next competitive team for prospects AND (not yet mentioned in this thread) save on payroll - while trying to field a team that meets the lowest acceptable common denominator (sounds smart and sophisticated, right) of competitiveness.

A lot of teams are settled at 1B/DH and might not make room for Mancini.  Best case scenario for the Os might be an injury to another team's 1B - like what happened to the Dodgers at SS  last year which led to the Manny trade.  

So, much of the higher payroll guys will be moved for most anything if it can save $.  Younger, cheaper guys like Villar, Mancini and some relievers - Givens - should be moved if the right prospect is offered - improving our prospect talent.  Not sure there are many folks on the team currently who still figure to be in their prime or be an above average producer around 2021 and 2022 - perhaps Mullins, Martin, Jackson, Ruiz and Hess.  

It sure will be interesting if Elias has to make an equivalent mid season trade decision as Hyde’s in game decision to pull Hess in the middle of a no-hitter....if the O’s somehow stay relevant.   

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Mancini would have to REALLY be hitting, like an .850 + OPS to drum up some real trade value. 

I'm comfortable holding onto Villar if there isn't a market for him.  We need someone to play 2B next year.  It'll depend on how he hits.  I get the feeling that he's not real highly regarded around the league.  

Well, that isnt super out of the question for Mancini.  He did OPS .826 in 2017.

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Great...... The our players all stink and we should trade them for little or nothing just to clear them and the payroll off the roster.

When Davis and Trumbo are gone there would be no need to give Mancini away for scraps. If you trade him it's because your getting valuable future pieces period.

36 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Great...... The our players all stink and we should trade them for little or nothing just to clear them and the payroll off the roster.

When Davis and Trumbo are gone there would be no need to give Mancini away for scraps. If you trade him it's because your getting valuable future pieces period.

No where do I suggest that we need to trade either player for scraps. More so the opposite. If the market is not there, don’t force it.  That’s how you end up with a Gausman like return.  I think maybe you are responding to the wrong person. 

There should be no rush to get rid of either player,  but both players will likely be in their 30’s and need to be resigned for the next winning Oriole team so they cannot be looked at as long term pieces. 

Archived