Aruajo DFA'ed (RHP Matt Wotherspoon promoted)

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They might not think he is worth sending money back to the Orioles, or they might not want to deal with him.

Never know with teams.

It may not get to the Orioles offering him back to the Cubs.  The Orioles can first try to trade him (doubtful) and then he has to pass thru waivers.  It is possible a team claims him and holds him on the 25-man roster for 10 days.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's are probably going to make these types of moves with some frequency - effectively expanding the roster - as Duquette and Buck did quite a lot the last few years.  Our pen's going to need reinforcements from time to time and time again.  

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Did not see this coming. This regime has no allegiance to Aruajo, but if he ever turns into even a serviceable middle reliever, this move will look super dumb.

Even if you believe Aruajo isn't worth a 40-man roster space, there are still lesser players than him currently on the 40-man roster.

Well that isn't even the point.  You will have to protect more players next fall.  So are you going to keep Pedro on the 40 man over them then?  Really releasing Pedro is the smart move. Keeping guys who can't contribute on the team is the dumb move. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or you have decided the he isn't worth a slot on the 40 man.

He probably isn't, but he would have likely passed thru waivers and been able to be outrighted in 10 days.  It is the timing of this that seems odd to me.  They could have done this a month or two ago, IMO.  Might have been able to retain someone else.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

It may not get to the Orioles offering him back to the Cubs.  The Orioles can first try to trade him (doubtful) and then he has to pass thru waivers.  It is possible a team claims him and holds him on the 25-man roster for 10 days.

Yeah but then they would have to put him on their 40 man roster.  Pedro hasn't even pitched above single A yet. Probably would be in the minors next year as well.  So you are going to use a roster space on a guy who is borderline for 2 years who is older. If someone claims him it is their problem. 

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Did not see this coming. This regime has no allegiance to Aruajo, but if he ever turns into even a serviceable middle reliever, this move will look super dumb.

Even if you believe Aruajo isn't worth a 40-man roster space, there are still lesser players than him currently on the 40-man roster.

I agree with this sentiment. The only reasonable explanation is the O's simply don't see any upside at all with Aruajo. Like none. In that case, I'm ok with the move.

I've also never heard of Wotherspoon, but his MiL stats were pretty good until the O's got their hands on him. Lol. Maybe he was pitching hurt last year?

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Yeah but then they would have to put him on their 40 man roster.  Pedro hasn't even pitched above single A yet. Probably would be in the minors next year as well.  So you are going to use a roster space on a guy who is borderline for 2 years who is older. If someone claims him it is their problem. 

For 10 days.  Seems very likely to me that Araujo would pass thru waivers and be able to be outrighted at that time.  You don't think so?

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

He probably isn't, but he would have likely passed thru waivers and been able to be outrighted in 10 days.  It is the timing of this that seems odd to me.  They could have done this a month or two ago, IMO.  Might have been able to retain someone else.

I think they were hoping they could get by with him in the bullpen since they had no pressing need for the slot on the 40.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Day game in Toronto today. Home opener of course tomorrow. 

My guess is they decided after the game Monday to do this. Took a day to get new guy up there. No reason to do this unless he can pitch today. 

Most likely the conversation was whom were they were going to release/option once they activated Cobb on Thursday.  When they decided it was Pedro they said if we are going to release him on Thursday why not just do it today so we can get somebody up here for 1 day to be available during the bullpen game.  

Archived