O's Moves that need to be made

wildcard

Let Martin and Mullins play. Villar is most valuable as a trade chip if he can excel at second base, IMO. Alberto is not part of the future so I'm not too worried about his development. 

Both Martin and Mullins are at an age where they need to learn how to hit at the major league level. They've both shown with their defense and speed that they could at minimum be major league back ups. I don't think Mullins is going to learn how to hit major league pitching while in Norfolk. 

This season is about development and evaluation. Let them play. They fail, they fail. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Let Martin and Mullins play. Villar is most valuable as a trade chip if he can excel at second base, IMO. Alberto is not part of the future so I'm not too worried about his development. 

Both Martin and Mullins are at an age where they need to learn how to hit at the major league level. They've both shown with their defense and speed that they could at minimum be major league back ups. I don't think Mullins is going to learn how to hit major league pitching while in Norfolk. 

This season is about development and evaluation. Let them play. The fail, they fail. 

Agreed - but to a point.  Too much failure isn't productive and damages the mental parts of the game.  I don't believe in playing a player who is clearly not ready.  

14 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Davis needed from last season to be taken aside and told to only work on bunting against the shift. Then tell him until he can do it, he can't start. Let him do that ALL the time. When he can accomplish that feat then put him in the lineup and let him do it till they play him honest. Sadly, it might be too late for that. I think it's mental and he's gone.

Give Mullins more starts. So what if he fails? We need to see if he has a future with us.

I say the same thing for Martin. At least keep up the defense.

If he learns to bunt, they will just stop the shift. To my knowledge, he has a no hits taking away by the shift yet this year. In fact, I'm surprised anyone puts the shift on for him anymore. I mean Zack (Zach) praised Yankees analytics last year.....what are they basing their alignments for Davis this year?? 2015?? Take away the bunt he'll really be toast. I can see him laying one down now, just to avoid the record books. Never was a huge fan, but sad to see...even the worse get a mistake hit.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

However, that does not mean the team should not make moves to try to win.  Hyde's charter to to win as many games as he can with the talent the has.   He needs to keep the attitude positive and the best way to do that is to show that he is trying to compete.

Therefore if Martin and Mullins show they are not going to hit then finding out what Alberto and Jackson can do makes sense.   That does mean burying Martin and Mullins, they both can play defense.  But for all we or Hyde knows so can Alberto and Jackson if put in the right situations.  And right now I would think Alberto and Jackson have a better chance to hit.

So I do not agree with just throwing the same guys out there that aren't hitting.  I think there may be some players that can play defense and hit on this team.

I think a couple of things need to be said:

1. Game results are not the only way players are evaluated. Coaches have a good sense of what guys like Alberto and Jackson can do with the bat from BP, previous stats, spring training, etc. Giving them a chance isn't going to suddenly change who they are. You might catch lightning in a bottle with a hot hitter, but more likely than not you're taking chances away from a player who has better overall odds of success if given a real chance.

2. If we demote/DFA all of the guys who really don't belong, we will be replacing them with guys who also don't belong. See point #1 about knowing what we have in house. The only alternative is to promote the top prospects.

3. We do not want to promote top prospects yet for many reasons. We can churn the other guys all we want, but ultimately the truth is that the answer is either not in the organization or Elias doesn't want them in Baltimore yet. 

4. That means you go back to what you have now. Give them all the rope you can stomach. 

Get used to this, wildcard. Even if we churn, it's going to be ugly. 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Making major changes after one week doesn't make anything more positive. What if they don't work? Giving guys more playing time as they earn it is a different story, but it doesn't necessarily mean giving the starter's job to the replacement. It's a long season, plenty of time to make changes.

Alberto over 100 plate appearances at AAA  with a 309 average and a 768 OPS.   Martin has never played above AA before this past week.  So who is the starter and who the replacement?

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

1)   Mancini to 1B, Davis to defensive replacement

2) Jackson to CF, Mullins to 4th OF and defensive replacement

3) Villar to SS, Alberto to 2B, Martin to defensive replacement

The move for Wright is coming but the O's are not quite there yet.

JMO.  What do you think will happen and when.

I think that's a lot of overreaction to a week of a meaningless season.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Alberto over 100 plate appearances at AAA  with a 309 average and a 768 OPS.   Martin has never played above AA before this past week.  So who is the starter and who the replacement?

Alberto is 26 years old and has nearly 200 plate appearances in the majors with a .469 OPS. Martin is a 24 year old former first round pick who has played 1 week in the bigs. We know what Alberto is. Martin we need to see. I don't think swapping Alberto in for Martin is the difference in winning even 1 game this season. 

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I doubt Jackson is any worse than Mullins.

Mullins is not a player.

What are you saying this based on? Spring training and a weeks worth of games? 

Mullins hit considerably better in Double A while being two years younger than Jackson and Mullins is a more viable CF. Their minor league credentials don’t even compare and neither has had enough time in Baltimore to come to any conclusions there. 

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

If he learns to bunt, they will just stop the shift. To my knowledge, he has a no hits taking away by the shift yet this year. In fact, I'm surprised anyone puts the shift on for him anymore. I mean Zack (Zach) praised Yankees analytics last year.....what are they basing their alignments for Davis this year?? 2015?? Take away the bunt he'll really be toast. I can see him laying one down now, just to avoid the record books. Never was a huge fan, but sad to see...even the worse get a mistake hit.

I feel like Davis had a number of hits taken away by the shift last year.   Look at all the grey spots beyond the infield on this chart:  https://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=9272&position=1B&type=battedball&pid2=9272&ss1=2019&se1=2019&ss2=2018&se2=2019&cht1=hangtime&cht2=hittype&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Meanwhile, I believe he did not execute a successful bunt, so no reason to stop shifting.   

As to not having lost a hit to the shift this year — he’s only put 6 balls in play.    

Dumping Mike Wright has got to be #1 on the priority list.

How come the O's were so quick to ditch Tyler Wilson (who now plays in Korea), yet they've held on to Mike Wrong all of this time, and he still sucks!

New regime...... get rid of Orioles old regime's "projects".

The goal for the O's this year is to have Cashner, Cobb , Wright , Trumbo and Bundy to all play well to trade them for young prospects. Davis we are stuck with unless he finds a genie in the bottle..lol..................Play the young kids and see if they can develop the skills and mental toughness to be successful at this level....Go O's!

Archived