The Silver Lining Report: Game 8/162 (O's Lose 6-4)

interloper

Ah, now we're rounding into silver lining territory like originally intended.

• Trey Mancini: It looks like he and Villar will battle for MVO this year, as Trey Dongz goes deep again. We were hoping for a bounceback this year and so far so good. You couldn't have hoped for a better start for him.

• Renato Núñez: Clutch RBI knock to bring the O's within 1 in the 5th. Also added a walk. Batting average slowly rising.

• Cedric Mullins: Base hit, scored 2 runs, successful overturn when he beat the throw to 2nd on Villar's grounder that would load the bases. I have a feeling he's about to get it going.  Stick with him. 

• Chris Davis: ?PINCH HIT RBI GROUND OUT?

• Rio Ruiz: Go-ahead pinch hit sac fly in the 7th. Nice job there, Rio. Just missed a home run, honestly.

• Paul Fry: Our best current reliever. He's a damn stud out there. 2.1 IP of flawless no-hit pitching. Huge.

• John Means: Just owns the Yankees. Another 2 k's. 

• Mini ?s: Severino pick off play at 3B, Villar SB, Alberto double and a walk, Smith OF assist.

• RISP: 1-14 which means a ton of guys got on base. That's a good thing! We are seeing them have pretty good ABs out there for the most part.

• Brandon Hyde: Made some pretty good calls I thought. Batting Mullins 9th, both PH worked out, won the challenge. Castro seemed like a mostly safe choice in that spot. He would have liked to have gotten more from Karns I'm sure.

• Frank Robinson: Classy ceremony. 

• We're close: We've blown some leads, but leads we did in fact have. The team is scoring runs against pretty tough pitchers and you have to like that so many seemingly anonymous players are grinding out ABs. The 'pen should get better as we go. I like what I see. 

Mullins' hit came from the right side (baby steps).

Hyde on Means:

Hyde limited Means to three batters last night, resulting in two strikeouts, because of the pending start.

The outing won’t necessarily duplicate the opener format. The leash is longer.

“I’m going to let Johnny pitch and I’ll be smart about it,” Hyde said. “I’m looking forward to watching his start and take him as far as he can go. Obviously he’s been outstanding. Pitch a variety of roles for you. So we’re going to give him a start on Tuesday and see how it goes.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/04/means-added-to-orioles-rotation-and-other-notes.html

Hyder had a nice Silver Lining quote (I thought of @interloper?

“I just love the fight in our guys. I think we’re playing really good baseball. We’ve just had a couple tough pitches out of the ‘pen recently. But I love how we’re playing the game. We’re playing really well defensively, playing no-fear offensively, grinding out at-bats against tough pitching. A good team. So I’m really proud of how we’re playing.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/04/castro-surrenders-late-three-run-homer-in-6-4-loss.html

Archived