Mancini's Future with the O's

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mancini has played a passable LF and RF this year. I’m fine with that until we clear the Davis situation up and the OF prospects come up. 

Ideally this is what happens next year,

OF: Hays, Mullins, Diaz, Smith, Rickard

1B: Mountcastle

DH: Mancini

Overall, I think Mancini falls somewhere between Jeff Conine and Steve Pearce. 

7 hours ago, CheeryO said:

I'm not sure Mancini has enough trade value to be classic trade bait.  He was never a top prospect, so other teams probably think he's still playing above his head and less willing to trade top prospects for him.  Also, he's a DH/1B type.  I think the O's are less likely to trade him because he's cheap and good, and because of other teams' skepticism over strong long term performance.  

This is such a pessimistic take.  Of course hes tradeable and yea he can get something.  Prospect status matters very little once career norms are established.  And additionally teams pay for offense all the time.  Last off season Adam Duvall and Asdrubal Cabrera were traded for meaningful packages and neither carried a glove of any import.  If anything Mancinis ability to play the outfield probably increases his trade value.

With cost control he just a better version of Steve Pearce, who has been traded for a dozen times for stretch runs.

9 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes. When teams know if they are in the playoff race or not.

That's right. If we are lucky he hits 20 dingers in the first half and a contender ends up needing a DH/1B who is controllable for a few years. We might actually do quite well. 

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

With cost control he just a better version of Steve Pearce, who has been traded for a dozen times for stretch runs.

Actually, Pearce has been traded only twice, for minor leaguers Jonah Heim and Santiago Espinal. I’d like to think Mancini should bring back considerably more than that.   Right now he’s had an .826 OPS season and a .715 OPS season.   The former has trade value, the latter doesn’t.   If he has a good year, he’ll have value.    He’s off to a nice start but 10 games doesn’t make a season.  Hopefully he’ll hit well this year.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is such a pessimistic take.  Of course hes tradeable and yea he can get something.  Prospect status matters very little once career norms are established.  And additionally teams pay for offense all the time.  Last off season Adam Duvall and Asdrubal Cabrera were traded for meaningful packages and neither carried a glove of any import.  If anything Mancinis ability to play the outfield probably increases his trade value.

Duvall was traded for a packet of junk.  Simms is a failed righty, Wisler was released by the Reds, and Tucker was sent back to the Braves and failed to make their 40 man roster.  

6 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

I wouldn't mind Mancini staying around for a bit. We kinda need him right now. 

Yeah we need him and Villar to have big seasons. The 6,500 fans last night should tell you the teams needs all the players they can get that are of major league quality.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini has played a passable LF and RF this year. I’m fine with that until we clear the Davis situation up and the OF prospects come up. 

Ideally this is what happens next year,

OF: Hays, Mullins, Diaz, Smith, Rickard

1B: Mountcastle

DH: Mancini

Overall, I think Mancini falls somewhere between Jeff Conine and Steve Pearce. 

Steve Pearce is an excellent defender and a more consistent hitter than Mancini. In 2014, Pearce was worth 4.5 WAR, and Mancini has only one season over 1.

Mancini can stand in the OF, but he’s terrible there. He has more value to us than what he would bring back. Even if he goes on a tear and has 25 homers by July. Never say never of course, but a worthwhile return is doubtful.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Steve Pearce is an excellent defender and a more consistent hitter than Mancini. In 2014, Pearce was worth 4.5 WAR, and Mancini has only one season over 1.

Mancini can stand in the OF, but he’s terrible there. He has more value to us than what he would bring back. Even if he goes on a tear and has 25 homers by July. Never say never of course, but a worthwhile return is doubtful.

His OPS+ has ranged from 46 (2011) to 157 (2014).

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

His OPS+ has ranged from 46 (2011) to 157 (2014).

Since 2014 he’s never had a negative WAR.

regardless, Pearce offers a more versatile player than Mancini, who has less value because of his defensive flaws. Things may change but at this point, Mancini is more valuable to us.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Since 2014 he’s never had a negative WAR.

regardless, Pearce offers a more versatile player than Mancini, who has less value because of his defensive flaws. Things may change but at this point, Mancini is more valuable to us.

-.3 rWAR in 2015. 

Archived