Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

39 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, not that it means much in terms of predicting major league success, that scouting term mostly comes from separating prospects from suspects in short looks. I would bet he has a number of 110mph+ batted balls though. 

Oh I know, I just like that sound.

The thing I admire about Mountcastle this year is that he’s been extremely consistent at the plate.  

April: .847 OPS

May: .889 OPS

June: .814 OPS

July: .940 OPS (through 7/27)

He hasn’t gone two games in a row without a hit since May 7-8.

He did have a mild slump from late June to mid-July, but has been on fire the last 11 games, .447/.460/.809, 8 doubles, 3 homers, 12 RBI.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm saying vague things like he'll have ML value or have a career isn't exactly a headline.  Hanser Alberto probably checks both of those boxes as do a ton of other ML players.  How good will he be?  No one knows but that is an opinion of interest.

Sure got it. Thanks for the clarification. I think barring injury Mountcastle will make it to free agency tendered. I'm not positive Hanser will.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure got it. Thanks for the clarification. I think barring injury Mountcastle will make it to free agency tendered. I'm not positive Hanser will.  

I think that’s a pretty good criterion for judging success of a player.   Amazingly, Jonathan Schoop didn’t meet it.   Mark Trumbo did.  It would be interesting to gather some data on how many players do.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

I think that’s a pretty good criterion for judging success of a player.   Amazingly, Jonathan Schoop didn’t meet it.   Mark Trumbo did.  It would be interesting to gather some data on how many players do.   

The injury thing makes it a bit nebulous. And remember, Schoop had that unrepaired bad knee injury. But yeah. It's probably a bench mark between success and mediocrity. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

The injury thing makes it a bit nebulous. And remember, Schoop had that unrepaired bad knee injury. But yeah. It's probably a bench mark between success and mediocrity. 

It also depends whether a team made a mistake and offered a guy a long term deal that didn’t pan out but they couldn’t non-tender him.   I’m not sure Rougned Odor would have been tendered a contract after this season (next year would have been his final arb year), but it doesn’t matter because Texas signed him to a long term deal and they’re stuck with him for a few years.   He’s not as good as Schoop.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

5 hours ago, weams said:

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It also depends whether a team made a mistake and offered a guy a long term deal that didn’t pan out but they couldn’t non-tender him.   I’m not sure Rougned Odor would have been tendered a contract after this season (next year would have been his final arb year), but it doesn’t matter because Texas signed him to a long term deal and they’re stuck with him for a few years.   He’s not as good as Schoop.

Schoop also got $7.5mm after being non-tendered, making his situation more interesting in my opinion. Almost the victim of early success that made his arb numbers accelerate vs. many of his peers. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 11:32 AM, weams said:

So, you think that putting a comp on him as far as what value is important? I'll just tell you, walks or not, he'll have a career. And a lot of the guys on the top 100 won't. He is a good hitter. 

I would say other than Adley he is our prospect with the most likely chance of succeeding in the majors.