So how ‘bout that D. Smith jr?

HowAboutThat

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

A 2-run shot in the 5th inning to give the Orioles some breathing room (4-0.)

(vs. RED SOX, 4/15))))))))) 

NUMBER 3

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR. JOHN DWIGHSMITHJR.

o

He is as Pesky as they come! JDSJ!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does dWAR not like Smith Jr?  He’s at -0.9 for his career according to bbref. He’s only played 5 innings at CF, so it’s not like he’s losing out because of that?

He seems pretty good solid out there. dWAR loved Travis Snider. I’d say Smith is better than him defensively. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why does dWAR not like Smith Jr?  He’s at -0.9 for his career according to bbref. He’s only played 5 innings at CF, so it’s not like he’s losing out because of that?

He seems pretty good solid out there. dWAR loved Travis Snider. I’d say Smith is better than him defensively. 

That's because like every other stat, WAR is not the end-all be-all people make it out to be.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pretty much all the advanced defensive metrics rated Smith negatively in Toronto: -9 Rtot, -6 Rdrs, -4.4 UZR.   The verdict in Baltimore is more mixed: +2 Rtot, -2 Rdrs, +1.5 UZR.     It so happens that Rdrs is the stat that feeds into dWAR, along with a positional adjustment that takes into account the difficulty of the defensive position.

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

That's also a home run at the original Yankee Stadium (1923 - 1973.)

Image result for original Yankee Stadium rightfield wall

Image result for original Yankee Stadium wall 296 feet

o

Prior to the advent of multi-purpose stadiums in the 1960s a lot of parks had fences shorter than 300 ft.  League Park in Cleveland wasn't much over 300' to RC.  The Polo Grounds were 275 to left and 258 to right. Old Lakefront Park in Chicago in the 1880s had years where it was about 200' down the lines and probably not even 300' to center.

I once saw some kind of community park in the Czech Republic with a baseball diamond.  About 30' beyond first base there was a ravine that cut across the outfield.  So it was effectively 120 feet to RF.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

That's because like every other stat, WAR is not the end-all be-all people make it out to be.

So what do you think his value should be, and what do you base that on?

Smith has 167 Major League plate appearances and has played 338 defensive innings spread over three seasons.  Any value system's rating of him based on that small of a sample will track to his long-term value only coincidentally.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Snider was left handed defensively and to my eye test had a better arm (but not using any analytics which should be more complete) and slower afoot.  Smith is RH, arm looks weaker to me and he looks more tentative out there.  But as @DrungoHazewood says above, the data is incomplete for Smith.  But this is all conjecture so means little.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

dWAR did not love Travis Snider. He was -0.6 for his career and had more negative seasons than positive ones. As for Smith, none of the metrics have liked him so far but it's too small a sample to make any reasonable assertions.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So what do you think his value should be, and what do you base that on?

Smith has 167 Major League plate appearances and has played 338 defensive innings spread over three seasons.  Any value system's rating of him based on that small of a sample will track to his long-term value only coincidentally.  

That was more of a reference to Snider than Smith.  I didn't check and just relied on the other poster's post that Snider was graded positively in dWAR.  He was not and had negative numbers in every year of his career except 4.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

dWAR did not love Travis Snider. He was -0.6 for his career and had more negative seasons than positive ones. As for Smith, none of the metrics have liked him so far but it's too small a sample to make any reasonable assertions.

Always keep in mind what dWAR is - it's defensive runs plus positional adjustment.  Snider was a corner outfielder, meaning his positional adjustment is going to be negative.  So to have a positive defensive contribution he has to be above average.  dWAR was designed to put everyone at every position on a common defensive baseline, meaning that a 1B is going to start out roughly 20 runs per season behind a shortstop.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Always keep in mind what dWAR is - it's defensive runs plus positional adjustment.  Snider was a corner outfielder, meaning his positional adjustment is going to be negative.  So to have a positive defensive contribution he has to be above average.  dWAR was designed to put everyone at every position on a common defensive baseline, meaning that a 1B is going to start out roughly 20 runs per season behind a shortstop.

Right, which is why I generally hate when people throw out oWAR and dWAR. Looking at other metrics he was average to slightly above, which is about what dWAR says too. That is not "loving" a player to me.

dWAR loves Mookie Betts for instance, not Travis Snider

Archived