2019 ST Position Player Cuts: Where are they now?

interloper

It's worth noting that Stevie Wilkerson was also a guy who was cut in ST. He proceeded to go down and hit .806 over 57 AB and came right up. Now, he came up mostly because he's a versatile guy on a short bench, but he would have been only the third ? on the list. And, as a low-upside guy with less developing to do, well here he is getting another look.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

It sort of feels like we're just waiting for both Hays and Kremer to get healthy because no one else is really doing much in the top levels of the farm. But there's also no guarantee these two do well out of the gate.

Tate and Ortiz just seem like two more Orioles type pitching prospects, even though we didn't draft them. I'm not sure what the appeal of Ortiz is even a little bit. Every time I see him, his stuff looks completely average, or worse. Tate I'm not high on either, but he feels like a guy we can help maybe.

I think they appealed because each was a first-round draft pick, and that combined with a real inability to evaluate pitching. Plus there might have been some desperate desire to have at least the appearance of a good return involved. “Look, we got a first rounder!”

meh, the folks who made those trades are well away. Let’s hope O & T improve.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's worth noting that Stevie Wilkerson was also a guy who was cut in ST. He proceeded to go down and hit .806 over 57 AB and came right up. Now, he came up mostly because he's a versatile guy on a short bench, but he would have been only the third ? on the list. And, as a low-upside guy with less developing to do, well here he is getting another look.

I like Stevie, but in all honesty, I don’t think he’s “getting another look, I think he was just next man up. I hope he proves worthy. I wish we had managed the roster a little better so we could keep Jackson. If we had dumped Wright at a better time, that might’ve been possible.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Tate and Ortiz just seem like two more Orioles type pitching prospects, even though we didn't draft them. I'm not sure what the appeal of Ortiz is even a little bit. Every time I see him, his stuff looks completely average, or worse. Tate I'm not high on either, but he feels like a guy we can help maybe.

I have a hard time comprehending lack of intrigue with Tate and Ortiz. What has happened to them? Their raw stuff is supposed to be pretty good right? Both decent prospects at one point? What's the deal? I guess we kind of traded for them on their way down in both cases. But don't they both throw hard and have some complimentary pitches? Also, they both have had some productive minor league seasons to this point.. 

17 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I have a hard time comprehending lack of intrigue with Tate and Ortiz. What has happened to them? Their raw stuff is supposed to be pretty good right? Both decent prospects at one point? What's the deal? I guess we kind of traded for them on their way down in both cases. But don't they both throw hard and have some complimentary pitches? Also, they both have had some productive minor league seasons to this point.. 

Both Tate and Ortiz were having decent seasons when we acquired them.    Tate seemingly was asked to throw more 2-seamers once he arrived in Bowie, and that didn’t go well.    Ortiz pitches pretty well at Norfolk but was unimpressive in a late season call-up.    He lost a lot of weight over the winter but that doesn’t seem to have helped his pitching.    I think the stock is way down on both of them since we acquired them.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both Tate and Ortiz were having decent seasons when we acquired them.    Tate seemingly was asked to throw more 2-seamers once he arrived in Bowie, and that didn’t go well.    Ortiz pitches pretty well at Norfolk but was unimpressive in a late season call-up.    He lost a lot of weight over the winter but that doesn’t seem to have helped his pitching.    I think the stock is way down on both of them since we acquired them.

Has their raw stuff declined? They both seemed like pretty toolsy, talented pitchers upon acquisition. 

4 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Has their raw stuff declined? They both seemed like pretty toolsy, talented pitchers upon acquisition. 

Both needed fixes, IIRC. Tate definitely did. He was a high pick that hadn't clicked. I'm speculating, but it's very possible that the O's are breaking them down as part of a mechanical rebuild. It's also possible that they're just not who we hoped they'd be. They seem to be trending the way of Sisco, and that's not a good thing.

27 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I feel like Ortiz's fastball was kind of low 90s, and his other stuff was your basic middle relief kind of stuff. But I haven't seen much of him. Tate I believe has the better fastball right now. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tate's stock has been in continual decline since he was drafted.

Yankees pretty much traded guys they didn't have room for on their 40 for Britton.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Didn't Ortiz end his season by getting hurt running from the mound to 1B on a grounder (the runner beat him)? He's in better shape now so I give him credit for that and it does take some guys a while to adjust to how something like that affects their mechanics.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new front office has Tate doing exactly the opposite of what last year's front office had him doing since Elias and Mejdal don't seem to be fans of the two seamer in general.

Tate has a history of injuries (hamstring, quad, multiple shoulder issues) and had ups and downs. The Rangers drafted him and tried tweaking his mechanics when his fastball declined by about 4 mph and he resisted it. Once he was traded to the Yankees, they got his mechanics changed, his fastball back up, his change up working, but his slider didn't get back to his previous level.

He seems like a "one step forward, half step back" prospect. I haven't seen @Luke-OH mention any change in mechanics on him (let me know if I missed it), but his pitches this season just haven't been there.

Archived