O's listening to trade offers for Givens

wildcard

Form MLBTR.com:

The Orioles are listening to offers for reliever Mychal Givens, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (video link). On a rebuilding, talent-deprived club that doesn’t have many enticing trade chips, the right-handed Givens stands out as someone who would draw plenty of interest on the market. Givens hasn’t been elite at preventing runs since last season, having posted a 4.06 ERA in 88 2/3 innings, but he has generally done well in that department (3.18 lifetime ERA) while logging appealing strikeout and walk rates (10.46 K/9, 3.34 BB/9) in 272 frames since his 2015 debut. The soon-to-be 29-year-old is also affordable ($2.15MM salary) and controllable through the 2021 season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Early.

Guess they don't think he has much of a chance to raise his stock.

Maybe they are tried to beat the rush of other teams making guys available the last couple years it seems the selling teams get more in earlier trades.  That along with what is he really going to improve on much here he won’t get many save chances or any real high leverage situations as it doesn’t mean much for us.  There are a few teams looking to compete and need bullpen help right now, teams now what Givens is for most part. 

I like Givens but I also think we should temper expectations as to what to expect back for him.  He's good, not elite.  Just because he was once on that fringe of being elite for us a few years ago doesn't mean he's still that same guy.  

In short, I don't wanna hear any whining from any of you about how we didn't get a top 100 prospect for him.  

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Givens but I also think we should temper expectations as to what to expect back for him.  He's good, not elite.  Just because he was once on that fringe of being elite for us a few years ago doesn't mean he's still that same guy.  

In short, I don't wanna hear any whining from any of you about how we didn't get a top 100 prospect for him.  

Then why trade him?  He has two more years of team control after this season.  Also if we are going to trade him soon than maybe tell Hyde to stop pitching multiple innings per game.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Then why trade him?  He has two more years of team control after this season.  Also if we are going to trade him soon than maybe tell Hyde to stop pitching multiple innings per game.

Have you not learned anything since you've been posting here?

I didn't say he was a bad reliever.  He's pretty good.  Is he elite?  No.  But I think he can be a really good bridge guy to an elite setup man/closer combo.  

Two more years of team control MAKES HIM MORE VALUABLE.  Read that and then read it again.  Better yet, type it out and reply to me with it so I know you read it.  Hopefully it sinks in.  Two years of team control is EXACTLY WHY YOU TRADE HIM.  He does have value, I just think some posters here are going to be expecting way too much in return.  

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I believe O’s fans will always believe more could have been gotten for a player that has been traded. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Have you not learned anything since you've been posting here?

I didn't say he was a bad reliever.  He's pretty good.  Is he elite?  No.  But I think he can be a really good bridge guy to an elite setup man/closer combo.  

Two more years of team control MAKES HIM MORE VALUABLE.  Read that and then read it again.  Better yet, type it out and reply to me with it so I know you read it.  Hopefully it sinks in.  Two years of team control is EXACTLY WHY YOU TRADE HIM.  He does have value, I just think some posters here are going to be expecting way too much in return.  

I am not sure why you are being hostile,. We got nothing for Britton last year.  I would rather see Givens for 2 1/2 more years than to trade him and get nothing much in return. 

Just now, atomic said:

I am not sure why you are being hostile,. We got nothing for Britton last year.  I would rather see Givens for 2 1/2 more years than to trade him and get nothing much in return. 

We would have got more for Britton if we'd traded him a year or two before.  We'd have gotten a massive haul.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We would have got more for Britton if we'd traded him a year or two before.  We'd have gotten a massive haul.  

But Givens isn’t the Britton of 3 years ago. If we are getting a Britton like haul for Givens it is better to keep him.  I am not sure what the hurry is to unload the little bit of talent we have. Not like we have guys in the minors beating down the doors. And most of the guys we got last year are playing much worse than our drafted prospects.  Well Banlon and Pop seem playing well but the rest seem like busts.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, if we had traded him immediately after winning a wild card spot, in a year when we needed every one of his 47-47 saves to make the playoffs, we would have gotten a haul.    Realistically, that was never going to happen, even though certain posters here were clamoring for that move and in hindsight it would have worked out great.    But at the time, the team expected to compete for a 2017 playoff spot and didn’t have the foresight to know Britton would get hurt.     They did shop him that July and didn’t like the return offered, which was something short of a “haul.”   

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

But Givens isn’t the Britton of 3 years ago. If we are getting a Britton like haul for Givens it is better to keep him.  I am not sure what the hurry is to unload the little bit of talent we have. Not like we have guys in the minors beating down the doors. And most of the guys we got last year are playing much worse than our drafted prospects.  Well Banlon and Pop seem playing well but the rest seem like busts.

I realize this is an effort in futility however....let's try:

What would you rather have?

A.  2.5 years of Givens, playing for a rebuilding team that most likely won't be a winner and the likelihood leaving in free agency with the Orioles not getting anything in return

B.  Givens traded, netting one good prospect or two solid prospects that would be under team control for years to come and could possibly be a part of the next Orioles winning team

To me, keeping Givens for 2.5 years in a rebuilding effort makes zero sense to me.  I realize we won't get much back for him so I'd rather get prospects back for him.

The article says the O's are listening.  Not that the are ready to trade him.  If you listen to Rosenthal's video which  is part of the OP  he says the concern from other teams is that the O's will put a high trade value on him.   I think that is just what Elias will do.   Ask a lot for Givens and see if anyone bites.  If the do the O's have a heck of a deal.  If they don't the O's keep him until the offers are better.

Archived