The Silver Lining Report: Game 34/162 (O's win 3-0)

interloper

Shutout!

• ?Dylan Bundy: THERE we go. Better fastball command, a good curveball, and a workable if not dominant slider. 7.1 IP, only 3 hits and 1 walk. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: The team-leader in RBIs added another by driving himself in with a solo blast that he demolished.

• Stevie Wilkerson: A nice game!  2 hits including a double, and so far Wilkerson is showing a much better ability to hit at this level than he did last season. So far hasn't embarrassed himself in CF, either.

• Michael Givens: Another non-stressful, scoreless inning and his 3rd save. The trade value is trending up.

• Kevin Brown & Dave Johnson: Plenty of cheesy but enjoyable Star Wars references. It's an odd duo, but I kind of like it.

• Double plays: Turned two of 'em! Couple of good plays out there.

• Shawn Armstrong: Got a couple of outs with a K. He's looked, well, better than Mike Wright. The early-season inflated ERA continues to fall.

• Errors: 0

• Mini ?s: Mancini back on track with 2 hits, a Davis walk with no Ks, Villar's 9th double.

Have a nice rainy Sunday.

- The umpires.    Took away Armstrong’s error by calling the runner out for being inside the baseline.   I don’t think it actually affected the play but they made the call, which I liked because it helped the Orioles.   

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Shutout!

• ?Dylan Bundy: THERE we go. Better fastball command, a good curveball, and a workable if not dominant slider. 7.1 IP, only 3 hits and 1 walk. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: The team-leader in RBIs added another by driving himself in with a HAN solo blast that he demolished.

• Stevie Wilkerson: A nice game!  2 hits including a double, and so far Wilkerson is showing a much better ability to hit at this level than he did last season. So far hasn't embarrassed himself in CF, either.

• Michael Givens: Another non-stressful, scoreless inning and his 3rd save. The trade value is trending up.

• Kevin Brown & Dave Johnson: Plenty of cheesy but enjoyable Star Wars references. It's an odd duo, but I kind of like it.

• Double plays: Turned two of 'em! Couple of good plays out there.

• Shawn Armstrong: Got a couple of outs with a K. He's looked, well, better than Mike Wright. The early-season inflated ERA continues to fall.

• Errors: 0

• Mini ?s: Mancini back on track with 2 hits, a Davis walk with no Ks, Villar's 9th double.

Have a nice rainy Sunday.

Thanks again for this OH crowd pleaser and as told by @Legend_Of_Joey, the #orioles had a clever take to Smith Jr.s solo dinger (see above and below):

As far Wilkerson goes, he has been doing a LOT of pre game work in center. The benefits of being a season seat member is the extra early entrance on Friday and Satuday. Stevie was taking fly balls, lining up throws, taking fungos and going all out during batting practice.

He is working extremely hard there.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

As far Wilkerson goes, he has been doing a LOT of pre game work in center. The benefits of being a season seat member is the extra early entrance on Friday and Satuday. Stevie was taking fly balls, lining up throws, taking fungos and going all out during batting practice.

From the eye test, how does he compare to Joey (if it is a positive - silver lining)?  Range, arm strength (SSS he looks ok thus far), jumps?

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It looks like he has fairly decent instincts from the sss I've seen from him out in center.

49 minutes ago, bobmc said:

From the eye test, how does he compare to Joey (if it is a positive - silver lining)?  Range, arm strength (SSS he looks ok thus far), jumps?

His range seems ok. He had some decent range in left and right when I saw him in Frederick and Bowie. He has good speed and seems to be adjusting quickly to reading the ball off the bat. I just wouldn't expect Gold Glove level of play.

I like his arm over Rickards. Seems stronger and more accurate, especially the throw home he made the other night against Tampa Bay. Maybe @Luke-OH or @Tony-OH have the Stat Cast information from it.

Overall, I think he is ok as a short term centerfielder. His bat seems to be heating up now and he has more power from the left side (but can hit pretty well from the right side too), so he probably gets more shots. If/When Mullins, Hays, or Williams comes up, I would put Wilkerson in a corner spot instead of Mancini if they can work it. 

17 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

It looks like he has fairly decent instincts from the sss I've seen from him out in center.

Hope he keeps going.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

His range seems ok. He had some decent range in left and right when I saw him in Frederick and Bowie. He has good speed and seems to be adjusting quickly to reading the ball off the bat. I just wouldn't expect Gold Glove level of play.

I like his arm over Rickards. Seems stronger and more accurate, especially the throw home he made the other night against Tampa Bay. Maybe @Luke-OH or @Tony-OH have the Stat Cast information from it.

Overall, I think he is ok as a short term centerfielder. His bat seems to be heating up now and he has more power from the left side (but can hit pretty well from the right side too), so he probably gets more shots. If/When Mullins, Hays, or Williams comes up, I would put Wilkerson in a corner spot instead of Mancini if they can work it. 

Hope he keeps going.

I’d say super-utility vs. COF specifically. 

Archived