Exclusive Orioles Hangout Interview: One on One with Mike Elias

Tony-OH

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff like this is why I support the site.  This is an excellent interview that gets into detail on a bunch of topics I have been curious about.  I also appreciate the fact this interview has absolutely no fat and within a few seconds of the start you were asking a question lol.

Great stuff Tony, lots of great information and actually something that I (as someone who has listened to pretty much all of Sig and Mike's interviews and follows the use of analytics in MiLB, MLB and the draft very closely) had never heard anything about before. I think it's actually completely new to the public sphere, which is hard to get out of a savvy guy like Elias.

That is the info that Sig has a projection model for each level of minor league baseball and that those projections are used to inform decisions on prospect promotions. Major League Equivalency projections are pretty commonplace and there are even a few public sphere ones (steamer, ZIPs, PECOTA, etc), but to my knowledge this is the first I've heard of a AAA equivalency, AA equivalency, etc. It makes a lot of sense, but I don't think I've ever heard of those existing before.  

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I enjoyed that, but it ended very abruptly.

It wasn't really an interview segment. I just decided in the end to just post the interview with a few edits instead of making it into an article. I just thought it would be better for people to hear directly like they were sitting there listening to our conversation. I actually cut out some good stuff, but it was more off topic.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Great stuff Tony, lots of great information and actually something that I (as someone who has listened to pretty much all of Sig and Mike's interviews and follows the use of analytics in MiLB, MLB and the draft very closely) had never heard anything about before. I think it's actually completely new to the public sphere, which is hard to get out of a savvy guy like Elias.

That is the info that Sig has a projection model for each level of minor league baseball and that those projections are used to inform decisions on prospect promotions. Major League Equivalency projections are pretty commonplace and there are even a few public sphere ones (steamer, ZIPs, PECOTA, etc), but to my knowledge this is the first I've heard of a AAA equivalency, AA equivalency, etc. It makes a lot of sense, but I don't think I've ever heard of those existing before.  

Thanks. I was glad that Mike was so forth coming. He's very down to earth in that one on one situation. I'm not easily impressed, but I am with Elias.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. I was glad that Mike was so forth coming. He's very down to earth in that one on one situation. I'm not easily impressed, but I am with Elias.

I was impressed you got something that I believe is completely new to the public sphere, that's good interviewing work!

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It wasn't really an interview segment. I just decided in the end to just post the interview with a few edits instead of making it into an article. I just thought it would be better for people to hear directly like they were sitting there listening to out conversation. I actually cut out some good stuff, but is was more off topic.

I think it was revealing. When I probably hated most about Dan was that he was very condescending, And would talk a long time without saying anything important. If Mike is more upfront, that’s refreshing.

Good interview, I like him. I especially like how he talks about AAA as though it's an actual level of development as opposed to promoting people from Bowie. I would have liked to hear his opinions on Manfred's proposed changes to the game next year, though.

Good interview.  Interesting how it wasn’t a surprise to him that people were talking about Brady maybe having been let go.  I hope that Brady can help and not interfere like he is saying.  I believe Brady’s intentions have always been good. 

Terrific interview.    Obviously, the questions were at a level of sophistication that you don’t hear from the mainstream media, and I think Elias enjoyed that and was cooperative in providing as much information as he could without giving away state secrets.    My sense is that he’s made a lot of progress instilling his philosophies and methods into the organization, but we’ll see a lot more of it in Year 2 once he’s had a chance to recruit staff at the time of year when that’s traditionally done and is able to step back from doing triage.    

Great interview Tony!  Thanks for doing this and sharing it with us.  You asked some great questions, and it was very refreshing and informative to hear Elias’ detailed answers.  Elias & Sig are the main reasons why I have so much confidence that this rebuilding process will be successful.  They know what needs to be done because they have done this before, so as long as John & Lou stay out of their way and provide them with the resources they need, I think we as fans are going to be very pleased with the end result, even though it may take 3-5 years.

Archived