Manny a Dodger?

blueberryale77

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never a truer statement. His at bats are a thing of beauty. I am glad he is out of the AL.
I betcha Manny is back in the American League next season. The Dodgers seem to have cash problems and quite possibly won't pick up Manny's $20 million option.

In the free agent market, it is unlikely that an NL team gives Manny a multiple year deal to play in the outfield. It is a lot more likely that he signs long term with an American League team, so they can DH him at least part of the time.

Stotle or whoever. I am interested to learn what you think the players Hansen, Moss, and Morris will be. I am familiar with all but havent really looked at their stats, and baseball reference is having issues right now.

Moss - Projects as a solid regular in RF. Little bit of pop and a quick bat (strong wrists). Ideally he's a 4th OF but he could be an everyday player.

Hansen - Fastball/slider reliever. Sits in the low-90s range, though he's reached to the mid-90s periodically through his MiL career. Slider is plus-potential but he isn't consistent enough with it. I don't see him as a future closer, though that's what BOS had in mind when they drafted him out of St. John's. Should be a solid 7th/8th inning power arm.

Morris - Mid-rotation ceiling. He's added 2-3 MPH since being drafted and sits somewhere in the low- to mid-90s. Throws a cutter and a plus-curve (hard 12-6 action). He really didn't have a place in LAN with Kershaw/McDonald/Elbert/Billingsley ahead of him on the depth chart for 2010. His changeup is a show-me pitch right now and his slider doesn't have much depth. If those don't come along, he's a back end guy on the strength of his cutter/curve. If he can make his changeup a fringe-plus he projects a little higher.

Stotle, I've always been curious about this, how does Hansen compare to Hoey (pre-injury)? Their repetoires sound similar.

Hoey had more control issues, whereas Hansen's issue was really command over his slider. Since he couldn't command it in the zone (and when he got it over he hung it fairly often) hitters could sit back on his FB.

Hoey threw harder (mid-90s touching upper-90s) but overall command was shotty on both his FB and his SL.

Both are power FB/SL guys that could end up anywhere from 11th man to set-up depending on how the command comes.

Here is something I always find interesting, trades and the anatomy of a team. Take a look at a trade made 5+ years ago:

Brian Giles -> SD for Bay and Ollie Perez

That turned into the following trades:

Perez, FA Roberto Hernandez -> NYM for Nady

Nady, Marte (Traded for Mackowiak) -> NYY for Tabata, McCutheon, Ohlendorf, Karstens

Bay -> Bos, Dodgers Involved for LaRoche, Moss, Hansen, and Morris

The Pirates have turned Brian Giles into:

Tabata, Moss, Hansen, Morris, Karstens, Ohlendorf, McCuteon, and LaRoche

Thats amazing.

A nice elegant deal for Pitts and, especially, the BoSox. Bay may be a downgrade, but the BoSox pick up Bay for next year.

Not sure what the guy in LA was thinking obtaining another OFer unless there is some sort of Kemp for David Price deal going down. We'll see how it plays out, but the LA GM better have his resume out - after this move and the AJones signing.

A nice elegant deal for Pitts and, especially, the BoSox. Bay may be a downgrade, but the BoSox pick up Bay for next year.

Not sure what the guy in LA was thinking obtaining another OFer unless there is some sort of Kemp for David Price deal going down. We'll see how it plays out, but the LA GM better have his resume out - after this move and the AJones signing.

The word out here is that unless the Dodgers make a run into the playoffs and possibly deep into the playoffs, Colletti is probably gone.

I guess it will depend on whether Manny takes them to another level.

This is kind of a sad day... it really is the end of an era. For years, when I thought of the Sox, I thought of Fenway, Manny, and dreds. I've said this before: Manny Ramirez is my favorite non-Oriole in MLB. There's nothing to not like about him. He may be goofy, but he's just a damn good hitter. Lethal. Deadly. Ruthless. Whatever you want to call him, he's (not even arguably) the best right handed hitter of the past 10 years. He simply kills the ball. The Dodgers are in for a treat. Their fans better make the most of the next 2 months. He's going to be even better in the NL - especially after being rejuvinated after the trade.

The Sox need to get their act together or they're going to have a hard time landing big-name free agents in the future. If I was a superstar heading into free agency (Texiera, I hope you hear me!!), I'd be pretty weary of the way the Sox treat their guys. Arroyo was the first guy, then they yanked THEIR CAPTAIN around, now Manny. Theo has that organization on locdown and is doing a great job, but he's starting to seem kinda slimy to me.

Slimy? I'm no Epstein fan, but he seems to do a pretty good job of letting players go at the right time, i.e. Nomar, Pedro, Damon. Like the Patriots seem to do, when the Sox sense a player is past their prime or has worn out their welcome, they waste little time in getting rid of that player. It seems to have worked for both organizations.

Slimy? I'm no Epstein fan, but he seems to do a pretty good job of letting players go at the right time, i.e. Nomar, Pedro, Damon. Like the Patriots seem to do, when the Sox sense a player is past their prime or has worn out their welcome, they waste little time in getting rid of that player. It seems to have worked for both organizations.

Little late on their Captain.

The Sox need to get their act together or they're going to have a hard time landing big-name free agents in the future. If I was a superstar heading into free agency (Texiera, I hope you hear me!!), I'd be pretty weary of the way the Sox treat their guys. Arroyo was the first guy, then they yanked THEIR CAPTAIN around, now Manny. Theo has that organization on locdown and is doing a great job, but he's starting to seem kinda slimy to me.

You're deluding yourself in this paragraph. But if it makes you feel better...

Archived