Manny a Dodger?

blueberryale77

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is overly simplistics thinking. You ignore that some prospects are indeed pretty close to at least being 100% bets to be contributing major leaguers. Both LaRoche and Alvarez fall into this category.

Now, it's irrelevant because you could at minimum move Alvarez to first (his bat should play there) and more likely to RF (his arm should play there). Still, it's a legit question as to why you target a position you have already accounted for.

Would you be happy if BAL moved a major piece to get Taylor Teagarden © from Texas with Wieters likely due up next year? I know I'd rather BAL fill areas of need....

Yeah, but you can let LaRoche start playing now and build himself into a very tradeable piece when Alvarez is ready to come up. In a few years when it's Alvarez's turn, maybe you can get a Jason Bay type haul for LarRoche.

Yeah, but you can let LaRoche start playing now and build himself into a very tradeable piece when Alvarez is ready to come up. In a few years when it's Alvarez's turn, maybe you can get a Jason Bay type haul for LarRoche.

I don't think you get LaRoche with the idea of trading him in a year. Regardless, I have always thought Alvarez could play any of the corners so it won't matter. In fact, I'm not sure why I thought it would be an issue -- I had Alvarez as a strong possibility to go to TAM when I was doing draft reports with right field specifically in mind.

Is it really odd to anyone else that we have heard zilch from the Red Sox on this? Both Colletti and Huntington have had press conferences and yet Boston hasn't even made an announcement and Epstein hasn't been seen or heard from in days. Strange.

That whole organization has its tail between its legs. Think about it: they downgraded at the trade deadline because a single player caused such a big problem that they gave up THREE players in order to get rid of him. Think about how big that is. They needed to get rid of Manny so badly that they included Moss AND Hensen. Manny was basically part of a 3-for-1 deal to get Bay. No team would feel good about this, especially considering they gave up the face of their franchise. This thing shook them to the foundation, I'll guarantee that right now. Also, the chances of them making the playoffs this year are done. It's either going to be Tampa or New York from the east; maybe both.

That whole organization has its tail between its legs. Think about it: they downgraded at the trade deadline because a single player caused such a big problem that they gave up THREE players in order to get rid of him. Think about how big that is. They needed to get rid of Manny so badly that they included Moss AND Hensen. Manny was basically part of a 3-for-1 deal to get Bay. No team would feel good about this, especially considering they gave up the face of their franchise. This thing shook them to the foundation, I'll guarantee that right now. Also, the chances of them making the playoffs this year are done. It's either going to be Tampa or New York from the east; maybe both.

This sounds exactly like what everyone said after the Nomar trade, and they couldn't have been more wrong. Let's wait and see.

Anyway, it appears I spoke too soon. Press conference at 3:45.

This sounds exactly like what everyone said after the Nomar trade, and they couldn't have been more wrong. Let's wait and see.

Anyway, it appears I spoke too soon. Press conference at 3:45.

Nomar was hurt, whining, sulking, and not producing. Manny, while he was being a brat, no doubt, is hitting .299 with 20 HRs and 68 RBI.

Interesting side story here about why the reports of a Rays/Pirates trade happened. Apparently young Andy Friedman in Tampa learned the hard way how these things work. Huntington and Friedman had agreed to a deal, and Tampa had faxed the paperwork along or however it works. That paperwork is what triggered the stories. Alas Huntington only called to say the deal was off after the other one was complete, which was right at the deadline. By that time the Rays had stopped talking to the Reds and the Phillies, so it was too late to do an alternate deal. So the Rays lost because, to use the sports cliche, they didn't play a full 9 innings.

The Rays are steamed, but, well life is unfair, eh?

Yeah, considering the Sox are paying Manny's contract, he has more value when money isn't an issue. If the Red Sox weren't picking up that salary, I don't think your last sentence is accurate.

Yeah, that was basically the crux of my point. And I really don't see that much of an appeal in a 31 year old reliever with a 4.23 ERA. Yeah, I think he's better than that, but I would say that Manny has higher trade value, perhaps especially to a team like the Dodgers.

Edit: As for trade value, that's a different argument and not what I'm talking about.

Manny wanted out and that kills the Red Sox leverage. The Red Sox were desperate to get rid of him. The Red Sox gave up young talent in order to Jason Bay, a 29 year old star, not because they were willing to trade prospects just to get rid of him.

The Orioles didn't have to trade Sherrill by any means. They can trade him in the offseason. They can trade him at the deadline next year. They had plenty more leverage, which counts towards trade value.

Trade value is a bit of a red herring IMO, I think that what's important to consider is who the Dodgers wanted more, not the trade value.

Double Edit: Now that it's come out that Manny has agreed with arbitration so that the Dodgers can get compensatory picks, it's a slam dunk IMO.

Now I'm no Manny apologist, but man does ESPN have it out for him. On their front page they have an article regarding all the players involved in the big trade called, "Mixed Debuts" where it notes that the Dodgers lost and "Manny grounded into a double play in the bottom of the ninth." This glosses over the fact that he went 2-4, better than anybody else on the team.

I don't like Manny, but how about a little journalistic integrity?

edit: Looks like they changed it.

Archived