New Rosenthal article on Orioles woes

Going Underground

Just now, Going Underground said:

But I asked three of the local writers to confirm what I have heard and one said that he didn't even know who he was and the other writers never confirmed or replied.Local media now is not trying too hard. The Sun is basically not much of a paper anymore and MASN is what it is.

News Flash.

The Sun has never ever been much of a paper, and of course, worse now than ever.

Back when people read newspapers, the Post would scoop the hometown boys on their own team, more often than not.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Rosenthal is not unbiased when it comes to Baltimore.

Take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

He likes to bring up old news and write it like its going on now.

He can also go over the top when describing events here.

With the hot mess in San Fransisco, with fake injuries and other front org chaos, I dont think this team is as high on the radar as Ken wants it to be.

Both Florida teams are under drawing fans, and would appear to be more of a move candidate.

So the Orioles want the Stadium authority to do things, and of course the Stadium would like the team do. I dont think its a huge thorn, its just simple business negotiations.

That is your opinion. Rosenthal had a hard time with the Orioles. The Orioles threatened to take away advertising  from the Sun and used to call the Sports Editor almost every day on him.He still has contacts here ,since he lived here for awhile. I understand why he is a little bitter.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Rosenthal is not unbiased when it comes to Baltimore.

Take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

He likes to bring up old news and write it like its going on now.

He can also go over the top when describing events here.

With the hot mess in San Fransisco, with fake injuries and other front org chaos, I dont think this team is as high on the radar as Ken wants it to be.

Both Florida teams are under drawing fans, and would appear to be more of a move candidate.

So the Orioles want the Stadium authority to do things, and of course the Stadium would like the team do. I dont think its a huge thorn, its just simple business negotiations.

That's fine if that's what you believe, but it's not terribly relevant to my post nor the one I replied to. Not really interested in discussing whether Rosenthal is biased or not. Every writer is biased. He's a good journalist 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

That is your opinion. Rosenthal had a hard time with the Orioles. The Orioles threatened to take away advertising  from the Sun and used to call the Sports Editoe almost every day on him.He still has contacts here ,since he lived here for awhile. I understand why he is a little bitter.

Your right. Its my opinion.

Not sure how much truth there is, in your statement about calling every day. Was that said by anybody else not named Ken?

But, I am not alone with my assessment of Ken.

I never like reading him, when he was here at the Sun.

But, we all have different likes and dislikes.

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

That's fine if that's what you believe, but it's not terribly relevant to my post nor the one I replied to. Not really interested in discussing whether Rosenthal is biased or not. Every writer is biased. He's a good journalist 

We agree to disagree when it comes to him being a good journalist.

I am more picky on whom I label good.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Your right. Its my opinion.

Not sure how much truth there is, in your statement about calling every day. Was that said by anybody else not named Ken?

But, I am not alone with my assessment of Ken.

I never like reading him, when he was here at the Sun.

But, we all have different likes and dislikes.

All good. I know someone in the family somewhat,so I guess i am also somewhat biased. 

24 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don't get this mentality when it comes to a sports team. The local media is not willing to be critical of the team. Why don't you want the national media to do their jobs?  The Sun certainly isn't going to do it.

Um...try reading my very next line!  

"That said, everything you guys quote in this article is kinda hard to argue with."

To me, as an ignorant outsider (geographically), it seems that the O's are a pawn for MLB. MLB needed a team in DC to maintain the labor law exemptions that they are given, encroaching on Baltimore's territorial rights in the process. In return, Angelos got a favorable MASN deal. The Nats didn't like it, but there was probably a wink, wink we'll deal with the TV rights later. Now is later and there are numerous problems. The stadium is no longer "unique", portions of the nearby Inner Harbor is slowly deteriorating, bad press (murders, bad cops???, politicians), poorly run organization never looking forward, going for poor band aid fixes, playing in a division with two heavy weights..I can't imagine the future, but I haven't ruled out a plight similar to the Expos. I remember an old article (pre free agency) when McPhail and Dalton were running the club they inferred Baltimore would top out at an attendance of about 1,000,000. Things changed, new stadium among them, but now they need to win...1.25 million won't cut it IMO and down the road Camden could be the best AAA field in America (farm of the Nats???).

52 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

The MASN thing is screwy and I don't understand how the Nats can want out of a contract they signed, nor why baseball is siding with the Nats, but there may come a point where its better for the Orioles, and the Angelos Boys as owners, to just come to a compromise agreement and move on.  

I don’t know where this stuff comes from:

1.    The Nats are not trying to get out of the contract.    Their interpretation of an ambiguous clause in the contract is different than MASN’s.

2.   MLB has not sided with the Nats.   In both RSDC rulings, the panel rejected many arguments by both sides, and their calculation of the rights fees is very different from either MASN’s or the Nats.   It’s somewhere in the middle, but leaning closer to the MASN side than the Nats’.

3.    The Lerners did not sign the MASN agreement.    It was negotiated a year before they bought the team.

The reason you perceive that MLB has “sided with the Nats” is that the Nats accepted the RSDC’s rulings even though they didn’t get nearly what they asked for, whereas MASN (and the Orioles) have fought the rulings tooth and nail and have used every trick in the book to delay the final outcome.   They are going to lose in the end, and I put 95% of the blame on their shoulders for the way this has dragged out.   

3 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

To me, as an ignorant outsider (geographically), it seems that the O's are a pawn for MLB. MLB needed a team in DC to maintain the labor law exemptions that they are given, encroaching on Baltimore's territorial rights in the process. In return, Angelos got a favorable MASN deal. The Nats didn't like it, but there was probably a wink, wink we'll deal with the TV rights later. Now is later and there are numerous problems. The stadium is no longer "unique", portions of the nearby Inner Harbor is slowly deteriorating, bad press (murders, bad cops???, politicians), poorly run organization never looking forward, going for poor band aid fixes, playing in a division with two heavy weights..I can't imagine the future, but I haven't ruled out a plight similar to the Expos. I remember an old article (pre free agency) when McPhail and Dalton were running the club they inferred Baltimore would top out at an attendance of about 1,000,000. Things changed, new stadium among them, but now they need to win...1.25 million won't cut it IMO and down the road Camden could be the best AAA field in America (farm of the Nats???).

East of the Harbor is actually growing really fast. But parts of the city are really terrible. Pimilco will go way before the Orioles.

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Um...try reading my very next line!  

"That said, everything you guys quote in this article is kinda hard to argue with."

I'm glad you acknowledge that he's not just picking on the O's here, but it doesn't change the fact that I disagree strongly with the rest of your post regarding outside media being critical.

O's fans are very accustomed to a local media that holds the company line. Here's a guy who's peeked behind the curtain and has a different story to tell. I think it would be foolish to dismiss it just because he's not here physically anymore.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

East of the Harbor is actually growing really fast. But parts of the city are really terrible. Pimilco will go way before the Orioles.

Agreed.

parts of the city that was run down, is now in great shape, thanks to the inner harbor and stadiums.

I have a friend in federal hill and loves it there.

Archived