New Rosenthal article on Orioles woes

Going Underground

I don't have access to the whole article but heard some things on the radio. Heard that it might be tough for the Angelos sons  to get 3/4 of the owners votes. That they never even bid on the All-Star game. Want some new renovations to Camden Yards first. If anyone has access and more information feel free to post. Thanks.

First things first, out of respect to a city that lost the NFL Colts in 1984, and remains emotionally scarred by the trauma even though it replaced that team with the Ravens 12 years later:

The Orioles are not likely to leave Baltimore.

A vacant Camden Yards would be an unthinkable blow to the city and state of Maryland, and an incredible black mark for baseball. The Orioles and Maryland Stadium Authority are also in preliminary negotiations to secure a new lease for the team before the current agreement expires at the end of 2021, sources say.

The question of whether the Orioles can succeed in Baltimore – amid declining attendance, an ongoing dispute with the Nationals over TV rights fees and a rebuilding plan that will take years to complete, if it succeeds at all – is another matter entirely.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another slow news day for Kenny.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, TonySoprano said:

While that may be the case, either possibility  is unsatisfactory because  1)they aren't intellectually curious enough to ask the question? or 2) the organization owes at least a brief statement due to all the times this subject was asked during the offseason.     As for the national guys, Rosenthal didn't mind discussing it when Elias was hired.  Maybe if the news is otherwise slow, he'll once again fall back to his old chestnut and write an article about Orioles dysfunction.  ?

In baseball’s view, the Orioles need to put the MASN dispute to rest, reach agreement with the Nationals and move on to other pressing topics. The Orioles counter that MASN has made multiple settlement offers to the Nationals, to no avail. As the tension continues, so does the fallout, the isolation of Orioles’ ownership as it fights the league and drives up legal fees for the other clubs.

The MASN affair is not the only Orioles matter frustrating baseball, sources say. For more than a year, baseball has asked the team to appoint a control person in place of Angelos, 89, who is in poor health. The control person is accountable to baseball for the operation of the club and for its compliance with the rules of baseball.

The Orioles still have not responded to baseball’s request, though Angelos’ sons, John and Lou, have assumed more prominent roles with the club and attended recent owners’ meetings. Either would be a logical choice to replace Peter Angelos as the control person, but the necessary approval from 3/4 of the 29 other clubs might be an issue, given the strained relationship between the Orioles and baseball.

Some Orioles fans believe baseball already is exacting retribution for the MASN conflict; Camden Yards, one of the game’s most cherished parks, has not hosted an All-Star Game since 1993, its second year of existence. But the Orioles have not made a formal proposal for the game, according to officials on both sides. The club’s preference, sources say, is to secure a new lease and work with the state to make improvements to the ballpark first.

Last year’s total of 1.56 million was a record low for the park, and the danger is that the Orioles will become like the Indians and Rays – effectively, turning into a small-market club.

The team likely is staying put. Staying, though, is not the same as succeeding. The Orioles are exchanging one form of crisis for another.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That's the deal they have had with the Stadium Authority all along.  What that has to do with bidding on the All Star game doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing they are seeking an expansion in state spending in return for the new lease.

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That's the deal they have had with the Stadium Authority all along.  What that has to do with bidding on the All Star game doesn't make sense.

I have heard that it is has to do with that if the MSA makes improvements to Camden Yards then we bid and hopefully the municipalities  get all the All-Star revenue generated for the city and the state.. The area gets tourism dollars and the Orioles get stadium improvements.

Every time I read stuff like this I think, "Its okay for us to pick on Family, but outsiders need to keep their mouths shut."

That said, everything you guys quote in this article is kinda hard to argue with.  The MASN thing is screwy and I don't understand how the Nats can want out of a contract they signed, nor why baseball is siding with the Nats, but there may come a point where its better for the Orioles, and the Angelos Boys as owners, to just come to a compromise agreement and move on.  

Camden Yards is a beautiful stadium, and the fact that I go to games so much I think I have lost some appreciation of the Park.  That said, the point of putting a stadium downtown was to help the economy of bars, restaurants, etc. surrounding the stadium, and until Baltimore's City Council decides to make a real difference and clean up the city, people just aren't going to support the City economy.  I know I get to about 20 games a year, and aside from a few pre-games at The Gameday Firehouse, I am otherwise in and out.  I get off of 95, pull into lot B/C, and as soon as the game is over I'm right back onto 95.  

The city has a problem, and until they fix that problem, and the Orioles are in a rebuild, attendance is going to remain pedestrian.  

The Orioles being unwilling or unable to communicate to MLB who is actually running the ballclub seems to be a bigger deal than we are making of it currently.  Didn't MLB give us a deadline to give them an answer?

10 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles being unwilling or unable to communicate to MLB who is actually running the ballclub seems to be a bigger deal than we are making of it currently.  Didn't MLB give us a deadline to give them an answer?

Yeah, things like this blow my mind.  I get the Orioles wanting to fight the MASN thing, but sending a letter to MLB stating who is running the club seems like something they are not doing just to be stubborn and thumb their nose at authority.  

32 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Every time I read stuff like this I think, "Its okay for us to pick on Family, but outsiders need to keep their mouths shut."

I don't get this mentality when it comes to a sports team. The local media is not willing to be critical of the team. Why don't you want the national media to do their jobs?  The Sun certainly isn't going to do it.

Most of this article is stuff we already know.  I had not seen this part before though:

" John Vidalin, whom the team named as chief operating officer to lead its business operation in July 2018, recently left to return to the NBA’s Miami Heat."

Just now, The Goob said:

Most of this article is stuff we already know.  I had not seen this part before though:

" John Vidalin, whom the team named as chief operating officer to lead its business operation in July 2018, recently left to return to the NBA’s Miami Heat."

The Hangout has been on that for a while now. I forgot which thread.

11 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don't get this mentality when it comes to a sports team. The local media is not willing to be critical of the team. Why don't you want the national media to do their jobs?  The Sun certainly isn't going to do it.

Rosenthal is not unbiased when it comes to Baltimore.

Take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

He likes to bring up old news and write it like its going on now.

He can also go over the top when describing events here.

With the hot mess in San Fransisco, with fake injuries and other front org chaos, I dont think this team is as high on the radar as Ken wants it to be.

Both Florida teams are under drawing fans, and would appear to be more of a move candidate.

So the Orioles want the Stadium authority to do things, and of course the Stadium would like the team do. I dont think its a huge thorn, its just simple business negotiations.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

The Hangout has been on that for a while now. I forgot which thread.

But I asked three of the local writers to confirm what I have heard and one said that he didn't even know who he was and the other writers never confirmed or replied.Local media now is not trying too hard. The Sun is basically not much of a paper anymore and MASN is what it is.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

But I asked three of the local writers to confirm what I have heard and one said that he didn't even know who he was and the other writers never confirmed or replied.Local media now is not trying too hard. The Sun is basically not much of a paper anymore and MASN is what it is.

Ugh. This is ridiculous. 

Archived