O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

18 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Is there any early favorites to go number 1? I've seen Spencer Torkelson, but apparently he's another 1B type. How does he compare to Vaughn?

Naturally it's way early, but Fangraphs has a 2020 Top Prospects List.

1  Emerson Hancock       RHP       21.0      6' 4"/200            R/R              Georgia             

2  Patrick Bailey               C            21.0      6' 2"/192            S/R              North Carolina State                   

3  Spencer Torkelson     1B          20.8      6' 1"/205            R/R              Arizona State                  

4  Cole Wilcox                 RHP       20.9      6' 5"/220            R/R              Georgia             

5  Tanner Burns               RHP       21.4      6' 0"/215            R/R              Auburn              

Lots of really good college arms next year.

In addition to those guys there is Asa Lacy, JT Ginn, Reid Detmers, Tommy Mace, and Garrett Crochet(personal favorite other than Hancock who is just a monster).

Also there are a couple SEC shortstops named Martin who could be risers. Austin Martin of Vandy whose best tool is hit and Casey Martin of Arkansas who is an 80 runner with sneaky power.

Freddy Zamora of Miami is also worth following, SS, slick fielder, really improved at the plate, another step would put him in the 1-1 debate.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Lots of really good college arms next year.

In addition to those guys there is Asa Lacy, JT Ginn, Reid Detmers, Tommy Mace, and Garrett Crochet(personal favorite other than Hancock who is just a monster).

Also there are a couple SEC shortstops named Martin who could be risers. Austin Martin of Vandy whose best tool is hit and Casey Martin of Arkansas who is an 80 runner with sneaky power.

Freddy Zamora of Miami is also worth following, SS, slick fielder, really improved at the plate, another step would put him in the 1-1 debate.

Miami is the college team I root for, so I watched quite a bit of them this year, and Zamora took a step up with the bat but a step back with the glove, he led the team in errors this year. 

I don't claim to be a scout so I'm not debating him being in the discussion, Im just surprised that Toral isn't the more talked about guy, he has big power. 

2 hours ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Miami is the college team I root for, so I watched quite a bit of them this year, and Zamora took a step up with the bat but a step back with the glove, he led the team in errors this year. 

I don't claim to be a scout so I'm not debating him being in the discussion, Im just surprised that Toral isn't the more talked about guy, he has big power. 

He definitely does have big pop, it’s just a hard path for a 1B into the first round, especially one who strikes out a bunch. (His career K rate is 3x as much as 2019 early first round 1B Andrew Vaughn)

Zamora isn’t the most consistent defender, but honestly that’s only a part of what teams look for, he has the range and arm to stick and potentially be above average there. 

• Upvote 1

@Luke-OH In regards to the #MLBDraft, the team with the worst record at season's end gets the first pick in the following draft, BUT how is worst record defined? Is it by Winning % (as I suspect) or by Games Back of the Overall League leader? 

I'm asking because of the current situation.  The Marlins have a .311 Winning %, and the O's a .312 Winning %, but we are 1/2 game farther behind the overall league leading Astros. I feel like I've looked this up before, but can't recall for sure. LOL!

PICK  TEAM    RECORD  WIN%  GB    
1     Miami           14-31    .311    0.5    
2     Baltimore     15-33    .312     --    

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Luke-OH In regards to the #MLBDraft, the team with the worst record at season's end gets the first pick in the following draft, BUT how is worst record defined? Is it by Winning % (as I suspect) or by Games Back of the Overall League leader? 

I'm asking because of the current situation.  The Marlins have a .311 Winning %, and the O's a .312 Winning %, but we are 1/2 game farther behind the overall league leading Astros. I feel like I've looked this up before, but can't recall for sure. LOL!

Winning percentage.

• Thanks 1

Updated after today's (Thursday 5/23/19) games: 

PICK  TEAM    RECORD  WIN%  GB    
1     Orioles        15-35     .300     ----    
2     Marlins       16-31     .340    2.5   
3     Royals        17-32     .347    2.5