Straily to the pen; Opener to the rotation

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's gotten to a point where I really don't care anymore who's on the mound for us.  

That's not 100% true, I'm mildly interested if it's Bundy, Cashner (until the other shoe drops) and Means.  And if we're talking about relievers, Fry...until he shows that he's a mirage, too.

Other than that, I don't see anyone who'll be here in two years.  This is about as close as it gets to the analogy of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  That's exactly what we're talking about here.

Straily, Ramirez, Hess, some new guy named Chandler...I just do not care who chews innings for this team.

I like what I’m seeing from Kline. That slider is a plus pitch and if he can command the FB they might have something.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Would it be outside the box to try Kline as a starter?   He was a starter in the minors before his surgery.    He pitched an inning tonight and was pulled for a pinch hitter.    He definitely could be ready to give us a few innings on Monday.    

I think his repertoire plays better in relief, but I wouldn’t be against trying this.   

Kline might be an ideal opener. Let him face the first six batters and let the starter have a less stressful first inning than he normally would.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say, I'm numb to the point that when Armstrong gave up three runs in about 35 seconds and then Givens gave up the game winner in the 9th that I just shrugged.

Yes. I give a hand to the folks that are keeping up with the team this season like they would any other. I'm at a point where I just don't care either way. My feelings will change once I see what kind of true control Elias has...

At least we don't have to worry about trading Givens, Hyde has driven his trade value to zero, first by misusing him in multi inning stints and then putting and lately using him in every high stress moment when he is obviously not pitching well and will only flame out in a highly visible way.

Now we can decline arbitration and DFA him next Spring.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's gotten to a point where I really don't care anymore who's on the mound for us.  

That's not 100% true, I'm mildly interested if it's Bundy, Cashner (until the other shoe drops) and Means.  And if we're talking about relievers, Fry...until he shows that he's a mirage, too.

Other than that, I don't see anyone who'll be here in two years.  This is about as close as it gets to the analogy of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  That's exactly what we're talking about here.

Straily, Ramirez, Hess, some new guy named Chandler...I just do not care who chews innings for this team.

I am with you. I look at our pitching staff and all I see is different shades of brown, if you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

At least we don't have to worry about trading Givens, Hyde has driven his trade value to zero, first by misusing him in multi inning stints and then putting and lately using him in every high stress moment when he is obviously not pitching well and will only flame out in a highly visible way.

Now we can decline arbitration and DFA him next Spring.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. First I don't see how Hyde can be blamed when Givens has been flat out ineffective and his command has been off.  Givens has established himself as a good MLB reliever he should be able to succeed in either role. 

Second I don't know why you would DFA him next spring.  He's still relatively young and has proven he can be a very good while not lights out dominant reliever.  

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. First I don't see how Hyde can be blamed when Givens has been flat out ineffective and his command has been off.  Givens has established himself as a good MLB reliever he should be able to succeed in either role. 

Second I don't know why you would DFA him next spring.  He's still relatively young and has proven he can be a very good while not lights out dominant reliever.  

That’s debatable. I was one his earliest supporters and as much as I don’t like defined roles, I do believe certain guys aren’t cut out for higher leverage situations. He looks increasingly uncomfortable in those situations.

Maybe we should completely reverse the order that we deploy our staff. Start with Givens, Armstrong, etc. That will give our offense an idea of how much they need to claw back. Then hand things over to Cashner, Means, etc. to bring it home. An added bonus would be that all our wins (and there aren’t going to be many of them) will be thrilling come from behind affairs.

Archived