August 3rd vs M's; going for the SWEEP!

Big Mac

Use your DVR and re-watch the play. You will see him look down the second Roberts throws the ball. With how hard he threw it, and where he threw it compared to where Cintron was set up to catch the ball, the play didn't have a chance. It was bad timing.

I will give you this, the two of them do not have good timing or communication. However, Roberts is the far, far superior defensive (not to mention offensive) player, and has done quite a good job of adjusting to all the other shortstops they've run out there this year. He is clearly much more comfortable with all of Fahey, Castro, Hernandez, Bynum and even Eider Torres in his limited duty where he was playing out of position. He is also not the only second baseman to have communication problems with Alex Cintron in his career (a couple of Diamondbacks fans have posted things about him frequently getting into collisions or near-collisions, and he's had a couple with Roberts already). Cintron is slow getting into position, tentative, and just doesn't have good instincts or reflexes. He's a terrible excuse for a shortstop, and he keeps getting worse now that his physical abilities are starting to escape him. The solution is quite simple. Do not play Cintron at a position he can't play. In other words, don't play Cintron.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of disasters EVERY time he plays in the field!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, my TIVO verified that the ball hit his belt buckle.

You're inventing difficulty out of nothing. Who cares where Cintron had his glove? This isn't target practice where BRob gets points for hitting the bullseye.

BRob somehow managed to make a toss that hit the guy in his freakin' belt buckle, and you're acting like it's some hard effort to catch it.

That's just goofy. I think he somehow didn't even see the ball. There was nothing hard about catching it.

It is hard when you look down for the bag the same time the ball is thrown and it is not on target.

You guys are acting unreal at this point.

Yes, my TIVO verified that the ball hit his belt buckle.

You're inventing difficulty out of nothing. Who cares where Cintron had his glove? This isn't target practice where BRob gets points for hitting the bullseye.

BRob somehow managed to make a toss that hit the guy in his freakin' belt buckle, and you're acting like it's some hard effort to catch it.

That's just goofy. I think he somehow didn't even see the ball. There was nothing hard about catching it.

He didn't. His glove barely moved until the second the ball made contact with him.

Glanced down for a sec:confused: Hard to tell if he glanced down when he's wearing sunglasses. Either way i think the majority thinks he should of caught it.

Yes quite. That is what the majority think.

Looks like a tough play all around to me. Funky looking double pump and wierd play all over. Make plays like that and win more games. Miss them and you lose. Ozzie would have caught it.

It is hard when you look down for the bag the same time the ball is thrown and it is not on target.

Yes, it is hard, but being a Major League shortstop is supposed to be hard. Cintron has shown over and over and over again that he's almost never up to the task. A bad play like that can happen every once in a while, but when it's the norm rather than the exception, you've gotta stop playing that guy at the most difficult position on the field.

Oh, stop.

He's a ML SS, it's his job to know where 2B is, and to also know where he is in relation to it.

It's not like 2B is drawn on the dirt with invisible ink and he needed secret decoder glasses to find the dang thing.

Jeez...

Oh, stop.

He's a ML SS, it's his job to know where 2B is, and to also know where he is in relation to it.

It's not like 2B is drawn on the dirt with invisible ink and he needed secret decoder glasses to find the dang thing.

Jeez...

You can share your opinion on the play, I will have mine.

Sure he knows where the bag is supposed to be and where he is playing. But that play, being behind second base, was a very tough one.

I mean hell, I am playing 2b right now in my league and I know how hard it is for BRob to get to those balls. He is a very good defensive second baseman. I just think that play was very tough for both players and it isn't as cookie cutter and everyone is making it out to be.

What was with that DP? Cintron fielded the ball, came to a complete stop momentarily, ran a few steps toward 2B and then finally flipped it to Brian. I'm not quite sure how they managed to overcome that waste of time and still complete the DP. Beltre must not have been running hard. There is rarely even one play with Cintron where he manages to look like a competent, confident Major League SS.

What was with that DP? Cintron fielded the ball, came to a complete stop momentarily, ran a few steps toward 2B and then finally flipped it to Brian. I'm not quite sure how they managed to overcome that waste of time and still complete the DP. Beltre must not have been running hard. There is rarely even one play with Cintron where he manages to look like a competent, confident Major League SS.

I don't know what trying to prove, but everyone here understands he is a below average SS.

But the flip didn't take as long as you are saying it did, and he was a perfect throw to Roberts. Cintron had to wait for the ball to get to him so that he could field the thing cleanly. It would have taken just as long for him to throw the ball overhand there.

Archived