Life choices and other whatnot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure was!  But I was also taking your absurd point and running with it.

How is it absurd to say that a guy who has 11 percent chance of making it to pro ball go to college instead of high school?  The smart move is to go to college and if you are good you will be drafted higher in 3 years. If you are bad you go on with your career with a degree from a good university. 

9 minutes ago, AceKing said:

You are right.  I guess you shit on everything the Orioles do - not just the draft.

It is about the player not the Orioles.  The Orioles are the worst team in baseball for the second straight season.  I am just stating facts. If you don't like the facts you should root for another team.  Also I think the Orioles should sign Gunnar.  

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also pick 43 show similar results.  As Elias has missed 2 times at #1 overall I wouldn't think he has any advantage over anyone else drafting in that range.

Lol people down voting facts. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

It is about the player not the Orioles.  The Orioles are the worst team in baseball for the second straight season.  I am just stating facts. If you don't like the facts you should root for another team.  Also I think the Orioles should sign Gunnar.  

I have plenty of rooting interest in the team.  I am a season plan holder, again, for the sixth year in a row.  I get on the team for all kinds of stuff, but you are very consistent in stating that your “opinions” are “facts”

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

How is it absurd to say that a guy who has 11 percent chance of making it to pro ball go to college instead of high school?  The smart move is to go to college and if you are good you will be drafted higher in 3 years. If you are bad you go on with your career with a degree from a good university. 

How absurd is it to turn down 2+ million at age 18?  There's no guarantee that he goes to Auburn and gets drafted earlier and can command more money.  Why do you think a lot of college commits back out and end up signing?  

Newsflash, if the pro career doesn't work out...AND he's good with his money, he can go back to college at any time and not be saddled with any student loan debt.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

If you play well in college the money will still be there.  

And if you don't it won't be there.  If you get hurt in college you could get no bonus, ever.  If you hit .230 you get nothing.  If you take the money after high school and put a hundred grand or so in a safe investment college will always be there.

7 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Again, your “opinion” is that 2 are “misses”, and that Elias spearheaded both of those “misses”

2 #1 overalls never to play a game in the majors.  I am not sure what you would call them other than "misses".  Would "Biggest Busts of all Time" sound better to you

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

2 #1 overalls never to play a game in the majors.  I am not sure what you would call them other than "misses".  Would "Biggest Busts of all Time" sound better to you

So are you knocking how the Astros built their franchise?

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah certainly there is no risk of sustaining a bad injury in those 3 years. Better to just turn a life changing amount of money to go do something you can do at anytime with the millions of dollars you're about receive.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How absurd is it to turn down 2+ million at age 18?  There's no guarantee that he goes to Auburn and gets drafted earlier and can command more money.  Why do you think a lot of college commits back out and end up signing?  

Newsflash, if the pro career doesn't work out...AND he's good with his money, he can go back to college at any time and not be saddled with any student loan debt.  

He doesn't even have to be good.  All he has to do is take $100K and put it in the bank, and blow the rest.  He'll still have enough to go to college if he busts.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And if you don't it won't be there.  If you get hurt in college you could get no bonus, ever.  If you hit .230 you get nothing.  If you take the money after high school and put a hundred grand or so in a safe investment college will always be there.

Might not be able to get into a top school if it weren't for baseball.  I wonder what percentage of ball players who are in this situation go back and get a college degree after baseball.   I also wonder what percentage of room and board plus tuition a baseball scholarship for a top player covers. 

Archived